Frank Lloyd Wright’s Revenge.

Scott Baxendale

This is my tune about the Tulsa Massacre of 1921. FLW was Richard Lloyd Jones first cousin and later gave him the historic Westhope House as a gift for all he had done for the citizens of Tulsa. Richard Lloyd Jones owned the Tulsa Tribune which competed against the Tulsa World newspaper for its readers.

This track was recorded remotely 1500 miles apart. The drummer and bass player are in the band Cracker and the steel and keys are from a couple of guys in the Drive-by Truckers. We used a Google drive folder for sharing files which worked pretty seamlessly. I’m pretty satisfied with this mix, but always appreciate feedback.
View attachment frank lloyd wrights reveng mix 3-7-21_scotts pump groove 2021_r1_session_2021-03-07_19.18.mp3

Sounds good to me it is close to big band style. The only thing I have to say other wise is 6:08 is long I don't think people have the time these days to listen to a song that long. I did enjoy the listen though.

Sounds good to me it is close to big band style. The only thing I have to say other wise is 6:08 is long I don't think people have the time these days to listen to a song that long. I did enjoy the listen though.
I’m with you on the song length. Most of my songs these days are 2-3 minutes. People still listen to Let It Be. I couldn’t really tell this story the way I wanted to in a 3 minute song.

A few years ago I wanted to do an album on Instagram with a series of one minute songs with videos and as soon as I started IG changed their format to have longer videos which immediately killed the idea.

Last edited:
I thought things sounded pretty good overall.

Some small things I noticed:

The guitar on the left sounds terrific. But it's louder than the slide guitar on the right, and it kind of unbalances the mix. It covers up the vocal here and there.

Drums sound good. The hats (and other cymbals) are a bit high in the mix. They have a little sizzly high end.

A pitch issue or two in the vocal. Vocal is quite a bit dryer than the rest of the tracks.

But like I said, overall it sounds real good.

I found it quite enjoyable to listen to. I think TripleM has it figured out but I would add that it’s a touch difficult to hear the vocals in some spots as the guitars are more or less centre stage. Loved the guitar tone on second solo, nice bite to it.

I thought things sounded pretty good overall.

Some small things I noticed:

The guitar on the left sounds terrific. But it's louder than the slide guitar on the right, and it kind of unbalances the mix. It covers up the vocal here and there.

Drums sound good. The hats (and other cymbals) are a bit high in the mix. They have a little sizzly high end.

A pitch issue or two in the vocal. Vocal is quite a bit dryer than the rest of the tracks.

But like I said, overall it sounds real good.
I’m from the tom petty school of loud rhythm guitar in the mix, I think. Getting the cymbals right it always the hardest for me esp as I get older and my hearing is getting worse.

Back