Fostex VF80 - Burning Silent CDs!

Metal Dad

All help gratefully received...

We have a Fostex VF80. Quality of recordings, wonderful. Quality of manual - unbelievably shonky. It feels translated, the way "Out of sight, out of mind" can come back as "Invisible Idiot" when it goes through Bable fish...

We are only very occasional users. We record the odd voiceover for local theatre etc. We have, slowly and carefully recorded some piano playing, and the recording is definitely in the machine. We have then slowly and carefully followed the instructions, as we always do, to burn this onto a CD on the internal burner, so we can transfer it to the PC for manipulation in Audacity etc.

Unfortunately, the CDs go through the long whirring, buring process and come out empty. When put in a PC, they show nothing on them at all - no tracks.

We have tried this now 6 times, with a new disk each time and including with a different recording, and always the same result.

If anyone has any words of wisdom about coaxing this elderly piece of kit to produce a usable CD. I'd be really grateful for it

Many thanks,

This is just a guess but have you considered replacing the CD-1A burner? It is possible that the CD burner has just given up seeing everything else seems to be working.
My PC CD/DVD burner packed up recently which is why I suspect that may be the problem.
As you are in England have a go at SCV London who supply Fostex to see if they can help. (www.scvlondon.co.uk) They have phone and e-mail info on site. They have helped me in the past with my MR16 HD/CD. They may still have parts lists for the VF80.

If all else fails try to source an MR8 or MR16. Both have USB outputs for direct connection to a PC so an internal burner can be by-passed. All the software is available for these units on the www.fostexinternational.com site. WavManager downloads tracks from the HD in the MR to a PC or you create a WAV file and download that to your PC and CD burner.

Good luck

Last edited:
Ask SCV London if you can get a SPDIF to USB converter. A lot of the older Fostex machines have the SPDIF output to go straight into DAT recorders. (I used to have one) SPDIF is the digital output on the back of the VF80. I do not know if you can get a SPDIF input for your PC

The MR16 has the TOSLINK optical version which (fortunately for me) connects directly into my Edirol monitor speakers so only one d/a conversion.

Now running out of ideas.

Hope this helps.

I'd think it might be the setting for what type of cd your writing like wav or mp3
Also, whun you turn the cdr-R over after recording, can you see grooves where it wrote the track.
If you see groves the its format for your player.
If its wav you can try windows media player supports that

You might also after burning a cd you think recorded, read it {prg load} it back in to another program and press play. In other words can the fostex read back its own cd burned on itself back in to be played as a prg.
On my 160 you do setup jog wheel to load prg and hit yes key to the questions and it loads you choose ide for internal drive when it ask

Back