Fostex VF-160 Teardown (With LOTS Of Pictures!)

uberdubber

I just finished putting up a blog post of my recent VF160 teardown and cleanup - I got the VF for way cheap on an auction site, and it needed a cleaning very badly: buttons responded poorly, faders scratchy, stuff bouncing around inside...!

None of my other FIVE VF's ever had any problems, so never needed to be opened up...and there was very little online to help me out.

So I just jumped in and did it - maybe no big deal to those who do it all the time, but I'm more "mechanical-minded" than electronic, so it was a bit scarier for me. Luckily, there was very little to it, and it all went VERY WELL. The thing works almost like new, now!

So for anyone who might like to try it out (or just take a look):

I just finished putting up a blog post of my recent VF160 teardown and cleanup - I got the VF for way cheap on an auction site, and it needed a cleaning very badly: buttons responded poorly, faders scratchy, stuff bouncing around inside...!

None of my other FIVE VF's ever had any problems, so never needed to be opened up...and there was very little online to help me out.

So I just jumped in and did it - maybe no big deal to those who do it all the time, but I'm more "mechanical-minded" than electronic, so it was a bit scarier for me. Luckily, there was very little to it, and it all went VERY WELL. The thing works almost like new, now!

So for anyone who might like to try it out (or just take a look):

moonroomrecording.blogspot.com/2013/02/fostex-vf160-teardown-instructable.html

Nice job and good pics too... Hopefully mine won't need a tear down for awhile, but if it does I'll refer back to your post. Thanks.

hardrive question

Great post (LOTS of work tho...)
Since you seem uniquely acquainted with the innards of this beast... do you know if:

Is the hardrive a standard PC type format (FAT 16, FAT32, NTSF)???
Are the mulitrack files in a standard format (like .wav)

Problem is... I can't get the multitracks off the damn thing to edit on the computer

tnx

Back