Fostex R8 8th channel no Record/playback?

Btiems

renderTimingPixel.png

Can't seem to get any signal from the 8th channel on my fostex r8, i can see input signal when i send signal, but nothing is recorded or played-back even on tape that has an 8th channel track. I took a look at the heads and they look fine, but im not sure whats up. If i prod the ciruit board on top of the heads i can get some hum but nothing musical.

What do you think whats up?

BT

Try putting a tape that you've recorded on backwards (ie, swap the take-up and supply reels). Do you now hear a backwards version of track 1 through track 8?

So it seems to be working now, this is the tape oriented correctly not reverse, but seem to be getting alot of warble and drop outs

Attachments

• Fostex drop out.mp3
    272.8 KB
  • Fostex Warble.mp3
    390.9 KB
The first thing I'd do is give the tape path a very thorough clean. Dirty heads while recording can cause dropouts and a dirty capstan will cause the warble. If you are trying to use Ampex or Quantegy tape then stop - you'll only gum up your machine with as it sheds sticky residue everywhere.

Some tape machines have a switchable filter for recording time code, usually on track 8. Don't know about that machine but the switch should be easy to find if you got one

The first thing I'd do is give the tape path a very thorough clean. Dirty heads while recording can cause dropouts and a dirty capstan will cause the warble. If you are trying to use Ampex or Quantegy tape then stop - you'll only gum up your machine with as it sheds sticky residue everywhere.
I’m not using ampex or anything sticky, some old Irish 195 lol.

New capstan and been cleaning the heads. Seems very intermittent though sometimes it records perfectly other times it drops out. I think it might be the pinch roller? It looks slightly cracked on the inside
Some tape machines have a switchable filter for recording time code, usually on track 8. Don't know about that machine but the switch should be easy to find if you got one
I’m not sure it has one as I only see a switch for Dolby and what not

So, it’s becoming intermittent, which I feel is some kind of electrical problem. If I remove the plate over the heads and pass some signal it starts to work. Not sure what would cause this

That sounds like a dirty connection. Trace through the wiring to the head and check that any connectors are tight.

That sounds like a dirty connection. Trace through the wiring to the head and check that any connectors are tight.
Yea, I resoldered some leads and what not it seems to be working. I’m working on calibrating it at the moment and it seems that channel 8 is a little soft too(after sending some pure tones through it). I’m thinking it might need some tlc because it doesn’t seem to meet spec when calibrating.
What's Irish 195? 😕
Some old tape I picked up bulk for a good price, it’s supposedly budget type stuff, but I can’t really notice and real noticeable sonic differences at the moment

Back