Fostex mr8 hd cd

angus1878

its a fantastic piece of kit and im more than happy,BUT,there always a but
ive noticed my "time remaining" has gone down an alarming rate,ive deleted songs or ideas,but it seem to make no odds to increasing recording memory

im now scared to use it i only have 2 hours left
what happens when it reches zero,how do i get the memory back ??

Download all the stuff you want to keep on your disk, either to your PC or to a CD.

Then re-format the disk!!!!

Deleting a song will only hide it. Deleting does not free up disk space. This is because the Fostex DOS is very simplistic. The original MR design was for a recorder that would download to a PC for editing and CD burning. The newer MRs had Hard Disks and CD burners added but never really concentrated on a better Disk Operating System.

May I suggest you treat your recording sessions as one operation.
Record, Edit, Create tracks and finally burn your CD.
Then re-format and start all over again.

Hope this helps.

To assist with your download operation. Load WavManager (for the MR8 HD/CD) on to your PC (its free from FostexInternational.com) This is an interface program to transfer tracks and Songs between the PC and the MR. Do download the instruction .pfd file with it and print it off.
Also for more help go to http://fostexsupport.com/index.php

thats superb my friend

ive just found the re formatting page in my manual

i will use and save my work then re format

will i lose the "FOSTEX FEVER" tune that was already factory loaded onto it

if so i will save that too

thanks so much

Re-formatting will "blank" the disk so you will lose the Fostex Fever tune too.

The MR recorders are best considered as session recorders. So you will download all your recordings and then start afresh. The original MR8 is based on a memory card which could be removed and read by a PC. The HD/CD versions are still based on this design.
You do have a choice. When you have recorded the tracks you can either send them directly to your PC using WavManager and edit and mix with an audio editor such as Audacity or you can create stereo .wav files in the MR8 using the 2Mix folder and download using the USB link and normal PC copy methods. Your third option is to burn the stereo .wav files to a CD.
To clarify a small confusion here:- each MR8 Song = a CD track (but you probably knew this already.)

Back