Fostex MR-8 how to overdub

and

Hi,
I just joined this forum, I am looking for some help on using a Fostex MR-8 the red one. I am just doing this as a hobby and want to learn more. I like all kinds of music and dream some day to sound like Will Ackerman or Alex Degrassi.

My question is how do add another guitar layer to the 1st one I already have (overdubbing)? The manual is kinda/really confusing to me. I just want to be able to layer guitar parts
If anyone could help me out or give me some tips on the MR-8 I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
and

I have an MR16 but the machines are similar.Think of the unit as an 8 track tape recorder - that is all tracks record or play back at the same time.
Example:- You have recorded on track 1. Set to Start and switch off Rec Select for Track 1 and switch on Rec Select for Track 2. Push up the vol sliders for 1 and Master and set the Trim on Input A as for your first recording. Press Rec and Play. Track 1 will play back and Track 2 will record. You will play the second layer while listening to the first layer. You can repeat this with tracks 3 and 4.

You now have two or more (mono) guitar recordings (layers). The next process is to "Bounce Down" to 7/8. That is you mix Tracks 1,2,3,4 and record to 7/8. You provide the Stereo effect by setting each Pan knob to either left or right. (for a "Mono" effect keep the Pan knobs in the central position.)

This is the basic Overdubbing operation and is a good starting point. Once you have had a go and get to understand the fundamentals then you will progress on to more complex mixing processes. I struggled for a fairly long time getting the hang of the 16 (mainly because the Owner's Manual is so poorly written) but it will become straight forward with practice. You can't bust anything by pressing buttons. Good luck and the Forum is here if you want more help.

Back