fostex fr2-le recording level display

fostexuser

I have a Fostex FR2-LE which I mainly use to record acoustic piano and stringed instruments. When I use the machine for these purposes I try to adjust the recording levels so that the level does not exceed -12dBFS on the display. I always have to boost the amplitude of the tracks using Audacity so that I can play them back without excessive amplification.

Sometimes I connect line sources to the Fostex, using telephone jack plugs on the ends of high quality analogue interconnects. Just as I do when using the built-in microphone preamps, I ensure that the level reaches at least -12dBFS on the display. The resulting tracks do not require further amplification in Audacity. Why does the strength of the recorded signal vary depending on the source, even though the gain has been adjusted so that the meter reads around the same level? Has anyone else found this? And should it really be necessary to amplify each and every track after recording through the preamps? Any help much appreciated.

Probably if you take the level up to just under the "overload" indicators it may work better.
There have been a number of posts about low recording levels on Fostex machines so this may be another example.

have you got version 1.2 of the software? If not update from the Fostex International site.

Back