Fostex FD 8 Digital Multitracker

Massimo

I've seen these on ebay and I love the set up with the mixer out on the board. It looks pretty easy to use, almost like a anolog recorder. I'm just wondering if any one owns one and what you think about it. Because I'm looking for a digital recorder at least 8 tracks but I want something easy to use because the ones they're making now have everything burried inside them, which seems like it would be kind of a hassle to use them. Thanks.

not sure what the FD 8 is but

fostex has a MR-8, which is a 8 track recorder, and is super easy to use. Has lots of kool features. there are lots of threads about them here.

one thing...is records onto a compact flash card. the included card only holds 3 min of audio. you will probably want to upgrade that right away.

rm

Massimo said:
I've seen these on ebay and I love the set up with the mixer out on the board. It looks pretty easy to use, almost like a anolog recorder. I'm just wondering if any one owns one and what you think about it. Because I'm looking for a digital recorder at least 8 tracks but I want something easy to use because the ones they're making now have everything burried inside them, which seems like it would be kind of a hassle to use them. Thanks.

The FD8 is an older model digital recorder, and I'm not sure if it stores on a harddrive or not... Could be zip disks. Looks like a nice machine, but it's getting on in years.

Let me add, because I've read your other posts in another forum...

I use a VF160 that does 8 tracks at once, and can do 16 at once with an ADAT interface attached. The current Fostex models are very tape-like in how they operate (at least as much as a digital multi-tracker can be). Also, Fostex has done a great job in the operating system. No need to defrag or optimize the drive (as is commonly necessary on other machines). The VF does this as you go. It also saves as you go, so if you just turn off the machine, you're back at the same song when you turn it back on (like a tape machine would be).

The manual on the VF160 isn't the best, but there is a quick start guide available, and in general, the machine is very intuitive. Lastly, the feel of the VF160 is solid, not toy-like, as some other products are. Even so, models from Korg and Yamaha are also very nice. I think some feel the learning curve on the Yamaha is fairly steep, and the Korg less so.

I have an FD8 and love it. It does have the ability to use internal hard drives, but you'll have to install it yourself and order a kit from Fostex. I use external scsi HD's without a prob. and back up to either zip250 or jaz 1gig. Having an analog mixer section is a blessing in disguise. Much faster and easier to work with and the dynamic range is over 100db... better than most consumer digital mixers/recorders. The ADAT i/o is excellent. There are some limitations such as only 2 unique tracks at once, but there are work arounds such as using the ADAT i/o or SPDIF i/o.

I looked the MR8, but it was too basic for my needs and didn't have the digital i/o. The USB is cool, but I don't need it. If you have money, I highly recommend the VF16 or VF160.

I got rid of my first FD-8 several years ago. After trying the Korg 16-track, I quickly realized that I didn't have the brains, or the patience for those type machines. I'd rather record music than spend my time jumping around from menu to menu.

I since bought 2 FD-8's on e-bay, for under $300 each. They both had factory installed hard drives. I have them linked together. I basically record with one other person, or alone. It works GREAT for me. Great sound quality. I've done to "PRO" cd's with them.

The biggest complaint I have is, you can only assign one effect at a time, per track, at mixdown. I get around that by recording some of my effects on the original track (when mono effect is ok).

I highly recommend them, if you don't want to hassle with the "latest greatest" stuff out there.

MENU TO MENU

I thought I was the only one who hated those menus. Yup, they do umpteen things but to get them to work is not intuitive at all. And oh, I am not a dummy, I am a programmer, but when I record music, I have more things in my mind than the operating systems of complicated units. Rule - Keep it simple.

I have the FD-8.

I skimmed over the posts, above, so don't crucify me if I'm repeating. Usually JR97 covers all of what I'd say.

The FD-8 is a nice machine, with MINIMAL menus, & a full analog mixer. BUT, it will only record 2 tracks simultaneously, unless you have an ADAT-I/O compatible mixer, THEN it will record 8-simul. The FD-8 is best to be found with an internal hard disc already mounted, if possible. It's a really good sounding, versatile unit. There's 24 internal tracks, of which only 8 can play back at once, so there's an "alternate" track scheme, in which you can trade tracks back & forth, for different purposes. The little LCD meter & menu section is not the greatest, as LCD's are not my favorite anyway, but at least it's backlit, so that's a plus.

The FD-8's a great unit, especially as compared to the new MR-8, based on features alone. It's well worth the average used cost of $300, with hard disc included. It's a good unit for someone who wants that 16/44.1 digital image data, with the look and feel of an analog porta-studio. The greatest limitation, as I see it, is that it records only 2-simul, but if you work alone, [like me], it's really not a hinderance. Any larger group recording ambitions, and it could cramp your style, and necessitate the ADAT-I/O type mixer, of which Fostex made many, from the VM-200 to the VM-800, the one's I'm most familiar with.

;)

question for JR#97 and Massimo... or anyone else who can answer the question

My PC has a Terratec Card with ADAT I/O connectors. Can I use my FD-8's preamps to record directly to my PC. Basically bypass the mixing board on the FD-8 but use its preamps. If so how would you set that up on the FD-8

Currently I record directly to my FD-8... which has been an outstanding machine for many years... Then I copy my tracks to my PC for editing/mixing using Cubase SX. But I've gotten to a point I use more than 8 tracks so I would rather record directly to my PC... but would like to save some money and use the Preamps on the FD-8. Is it technically possible?

hey do you know how to burn a track to a cd using the mr-8 hd/cd digital multitracker? i've tried practically everything and i just can't get it to work. any tips or solutions would be awesome! Thanks, Matt

Back