Fostex DMT-8VL question

JBuddha1972

Hey there,

I've been using the Fostex DMT-8VL for the past couple of years. I've
enjoyed excellent results but found the 8 track limitation confining.
Recently, I came upon a Fostex DMT-8 (the 8VL's predecessor). I was hoping
to be able to link the two together in "Slave" mode to create 16 tracks;
unfortunately, the DMT-8 was not equipped with a "Slave" mode and is
apparently unable to synchronize with the DMT-8VL properly. Has anybody
else had any luck trying to do this? I'd like to know for sure that the two
aren't compatible before I sell off the DMT-8 and buy another 8VL.

Thanks,
Jeff

Henri,

First of all, thanks for replying to my post.

Yes, I have the instruction manuals to both the DMT-8 and the DMT-8VL. I tried to synch the two using the 8VL's "Slave" mode. I have successfully synched two 8VL's together using that function. However, when I tried to synch the 8VL to the DMT-8, the 8VL's "chase" indicator blinked and could not seem to establish synchronization (the "digital" indicator lit successfully, however). I'm really hoping that I can get these things to work together. First of all, it will save me the trouble of having to sell the DMT-8, and secondly I want to take advantage of some of the DMT-8's advanced features (parametric eq, etc.). If you've got any more ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

P.S. I'm not sure if my machine is a version 2 or not.

If you've synced them before{VL's} the only thing I can think of is make sure you record silence on the chase machine..Sometimes I've noticed that unless there is "something" recorded to the Chase machine it will not sync...go into your menues and make sure your offsets{30fnd} etc. are the same..Version 2 comes up when you turn the machine on...It should work so its proboly something small..LOL...Try recording on track1 of the DTM8 and then see if they work.....

Don

To make this clear....your master is the DTM8vL so you want to have your DTM8 chase...so what you do is Record something anything, I use track1{DTM8} and I record "silence" try it for a few secs and then press play on the DTM8VL and see if it chases now....

Don

Last edited:
Don,

First of all, thanks for all of your help. I had been trying to run the DMT-8VL in "slave" mode and control it with the DMT-8. I tried your suggestion and reversed the order and am controlling the DMT-8VL with the DMT-8 via MIDI MTC. Thus far, I've been able to synch the "record" function, but that's it. When I synched two 8VL's together I was able to control almost all of the slave unit's functions with the master's. I was hoping to do the same with the DMT-8. From what I've experienced, it doesn't seem possible, however. It sounds as though you've managed to do it, though! What's your secret?

Thanks again,
Jeff

Seems like you got Version 1 DTM8..If thats the case.I dont know? Ive had a bad midi cord screw things up...Man Im at a loss..dammit..LOL.Huummm..how about the "pre roll"..Ill see if I can think of anything else....

Don

Don,

I spoke with Fostex product support and they told me that I need to upgrade the EPROMS to the latest software version. That should take care of the problem.

Thanks for all your help,
Jeff

Back