Fostex 260 belt replacement Speed control

jgidley12

I have a Fostex 260 which I purchased new in 1988. Used it to record two albums. Went back to it a few years ago and the transport would not work. Took it to a friend who said he could fix it and when I got it back it was running way too fast. He put a rubber band on it but obviously the wrong size. Does anyone know where and how I can find the factory belt for this recorder? Does anyone know anything at all aabout the size of the correct belt? My friend did not return the origianl belt so I have no idea about its correct size. Also, it appears the pitch control is not working. Please help somebody!!!!!

I have a Fostex 260 which I purchased new in 1988. Used it to record two albums. Went back to it a few years ago and the transport would not work. Took it to a friend who said he could fix it and when I got it back it was running way too fast. He put a rubber band on it but obviously the wrong size. Does anyone know where and how I can find the factory belt for this recorder? Does anyone know anything at all aabout the size of the correct belt? My friend did not return the origianl belt so I have no idea about its correct size. Also, it appears the pitch control is not working. Please help somebody!!!!!

I can't help you with the belt but I'm not sure that's the problem. I think it would be the size of the sheaves that set the speed. Just like the gear ratio on a bike. If the pitch control is screwed maybe it's just stuck on high and you need a new speed control pot.

I can't help you with the belt but I'm not sure that's the problem. I think it would be the size of the sheaves that set the speed. Just like the gear ratio on a bike. If the pitch control is screwed maybe it's just stuck on high and you need a new speed control pot.
I am sure that is a possibility, however...I tried using a rubber band that was smaller than the one my friend used and it slowed things down a little and then I tried one even small er than that one and it made things real draggy...much too slow. Anyway, it appears I need factory parts to fix this problem. Where do I obtain factory parts for this machine? If I need a new pitch control pot...who do I call for a new one? Any ideas? Thanks, Johnnie

Strange. I must totally be imagining the belt mechanism the wrong way. Anyway you could post a pic just to satisfy my curiosity?

The pot might just be dirty, can you get it out and give it a cleaning?

As far as parts you might be stuck looking for old broken units for cheap.

I can get the pitch control out but I looked at it and it looked alright. How would I clean it? What would I clean it with?

Back