Formulas Needed

DrummerRyan

Hello everyone... I have a question for all of you experts out there. What formulas would I use to figure out how I need to acoustically treat a given room? For example, say our good friend John Sayers is contracted to acoustically treat a room that is 10'X25', what formulas are used to decide what treatment is necessary? I apologize for such a vague question, as I know there are probably a large number of formulas used, however, any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

-Ryan

Look there are formulas for the room modes etc , my site has the most common ones. But you must work out what you are going to do with the room. Do you need live areas, or dead areas. Will you be recording drums in it or just loud guitars.

Take the piano room in the studio I'm doing now. I don't want it to be dead but I don't want the bass to muddy up the sound. So I've put in curved panel absorbers for bass that also act as diffusers for the tops, slots for low midrange and insulation for the uppermids and the tops. BTW the timber floor is also a bass panel absorber.

It's sounding really good. It still has life yet is not too live. The bottom end sounds tight and clean.
Can't wait to put Amirel's new toy in there, a Boston 7'2" grand from Steinway :eek:

cheers
john

Thanks John!

Thanks for the response! I'll review those formulas again (i've looked at them before, but it was a while ago) and maybe they'll help me more this time. Thanks again!

-Ryan

Back