Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 Frequency problem

rayc

retroreprobate
I've had comments that my recordings seem "dark" before and decided to do a little checking after my most recent project.
I checked audio recorded with & through the interface against imported media.
Imported media has a full range of audio freqs from 0ish to 20kHz ish.
Audio recorded with the unit has a hyped bottom end and slopes off very sharply at around 5kHz.
Any ideas?

Is the media that you imported the same as you recorded?

Can you, for example, import a track off a CD, then compare it to that same track recorded by being played via CD player into the interface?

Most of the imported tracks are homerecorder collab tracks sent via the net & things like drum tracks from Band In A Box. All of these come through with a wide freq range.
I'll try using external pres, (I have a Presonus Blue Tube as well as an ancient Mic100), into the aux INs ans well as your suggestion Gekko. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but here goes. Are you sure there isn't some software filter active? Don't know about the Focusrite stuff, but my Roland Quad-Capture has a software control panel that runs in the background, with a few FX features like compression. Since I never, ever use it, it's easy to forget that it's there.

Hello Robus,
I thought that was possible in "mix Control" which is the software fro the unit and possibly in Reaper. I've looked but haven't found anything yet.
I will double check though. Thanks.

DARK TONE UPDATE.
Focusrite have asked for audio samples...
I did a Freq test that starts with an electric guitar played acoustically in front of a Shure 57 and then Sennheiser e609 and the preamp pretty well cranked to get a decent signal – though obviously just short of the red zone.
The signal is quite wide going above 10 Khz on occasion.
Once I used my amp, and reduce the amount of preamp gain, the signal cuts down to just above 5Hz.
To make it clear that it wasn’t the amp – switched from a Tube amp to a solid state part way through and to ensure that it wasn’t the guitar I switched from my Guyatone Mosrite copy with bridge humbuckers to a tele copy, (bright isn’t enough to describe it’s tone), towards the end.
There was no appreciable difference.
I changed to a Focusrite CM25 condensor mic towards the end of the session as well.
I’ve tried it all really.
Imported audio files recorded on other gear have full range audio.
I even used an EQ pedal with all freqs slashed but the top one (3.iKhz) and that was on max boost as was the overall level of the signal through the pedal – again no difference.
The 1st amp was a Kustom Defender 5D into a Marshall 4x12 & the 2nd a Pignose.
With the EQ pedal and a few times when I turned the amp volume up the high end in the room was of ICE PICK dimensions standing 1m away from speaker cab.
Interesting?
I hope you can help.

Back