Fixing gain controls on phonic mixer. Do I use contact spray?

Dicus

Enthusiastic Member
Hey y'all,

I've got a little problem with my Phonic AM844D mixer. Some of the gain controls aren't working anymore. They stay fixed at a real low Gain no matter how I turn the knob.
I was thinking of fixing it with a bit of contact spray. But to be honest, I never used contact spray, nore did I buy it ever.
Is contact spray the right stuff to fix it? If yes, does it matter what spray I buy? (I live in Europe so most of the American brands will not be sold here, it would help a lot if someone could describe where to look for.) If contact spray is not the way to go what do I do to fix it?

Thanks already for reading this!

Well, you can try a contact cleaner. I recommend DEOXIT which is available in the UK and Europe.

The only thing is, your symptoms sound wrong to me. General when a contact cleaner is needed, it's because a pot or fader has become crackly or noisy, not frozen at one level. I'm not saying a cleaning can't help but it's not a sure thing.

Do you mean the faders or the knobs doing the gain trim? If the latter you'll have to do some dismantling to make sure the spray actually gets inside the pot.

You probably don't need to waste a match. Last time I took apart a Phonic mixer to try and fix it for a friend, the power supply was so badly built that bare mains voltage wires were touching the metal case.

I agree, contact cleaner will most likely NOT fix the problem.....but if you are going to try it, Deoxit is the absolute best there is!!!

Sorry for late reaction. I was abroad for some time.

I did indeed mean the gain knob, not the fader. I'll search for deoxit. And I'll try to find a way to get it into the pots. I honoustly have not a lot of experience with dismantling mixers.

I know Phonic is by far not the ideal stuff to go with. But considering the price I'm happy with the mixer. If I only had enough money to buy the real stuff, then I'd put an engineer on my payroll. ;) Untill then: thanks for the advice.

Back