firewire to usb 3 adapter

Thurgood

Does this exist and does it work? Yes, I did a "google". Short story: I had to purchase a laptop. No firewire port or pci/e option. Work computer but until I cannot $$$$ up for a new desktop dedicated to audio (yet). That is a long story. My interface is s fireface 400. I will buy a new desktop later but other financial constraints apply eg. car repair prevent the outlay of cash. I do mixing 12 to 100 tracks with various plugs in Reaper and a few stand alone (third party) medium demand plugs. Mixing and moderate tracking keep me sane, as my job keeps me very busy and I do quite a bit of travel. So here I am. Help please. PS the lappy runs 2 ghz 5200 rpms and 8 g ram. I do often stem/bounce (I learned analog on 8 and 16/ 24 track machines) this will not be the final production DAW just something to keep me happy while I work/travel and build a new Trinity tc-15 amplifier. Be well all.

wrs.

No.

The adapters you see out there are for cameras and hard drive transfers and do not work with audio interfaces.

usb works in a burst mode and audio interfaces need sustained transfers.

(this gets asked all the time but the answer doesn't change... it wont work.)

yep, that's what I have gathered. Just hopeful thinking. I will just have to save up $ until I can afford new desktop . Need lappy to do so. Until then the amp build and wood-shedding are gonna have to do. Probably better in the long run as better chops make better recordings. I may look at an inexpensive usb 3 interface (2 input) and fool around with that. Any ideas? Thanks for your input. wrs,, Be well all.

You dont need usb3.

usb2 can easily and cheaply do a couple of dozen simultaneous channels.
There are only 1 or 2 usb3 interfaces and they are outrageously expensive and unnecessary.

The industry has partitioned itself into usb2 / firewire / thunderbolt,
with firewire looking like it's going to give way to thunderbolt once it's more widely adopted.

Back