Finger Snaps Sound; How to Achieve it?

I'm creating a ballad with a more modern feel, but I want to incorporate some lush finger snap layers as heard in the 90s RnB song I've attached. I'm assuming that the snaps could be samples, they could have been recorded live, or perhaps a combination. It doesn't feel like anything too difficult to achieve, but any thoughts on achieving this sound? I simply want to get them sounding kind of thick and supportive rhythmically as in the song I've attached. Thought I'd check if anyone has aimed for this type of sound in finger snaps before.

Thanks for taking a listen!

It's a layered sample: at least 2 separate finger snaps (tho if they're anything like hand claps, it's probably at least half a dozen), plus it's layered with several other samples: a triangle, a hi-hat.
That all plus a generous helping of reverb and maybe some other effects.

Actually trying to play the finger snaps (and other body sounds such as clapping, hamboning, etc) as a live instrument is very difficult. It's hard to get the timing and dynamics consistent. It ends up sounding very weird in almost any genre except for something very lo-fi and analog (like bluegrass)

It's a layered
Yes, probably with a sample.
It's hard to get the timing and dynamics consistent
No make it really sloppy. Use 5-6 tracks. Come in at different rates. All wet with at least 2 reverbs. One short and other long or reflections.
. It ends up sounding very weird in almost any genre except for something very lo-fi and analog (like bluegrass)
You are gonna want to compress it then into the limiter.. with a EQ thing that has a threshold control for the treble. Balance it between the EQs threshold and the Compressors' threshold. It should start to pop out. Set it to fast.

dont move the microphone
dont change the gain
freeze/bounce then compress

Attachments

• clapping.wav.mp3
    301.9 KB
Last edited:
My question is a simple one. Have you tried to create them and failed or have you not tried at all? Experimentation is the key here. Record a few and layer them up and eq and treat, and repeat till it’s what you want. Seems the simple suggestion if you can’t find them already done that you like. Or maybe find an exposed one on a track you like the sound of, and sample that and repea?

I would say, to add Rob's text, make sure you have a live room. Little to no treatment. I tried this in my mixing area which has all kinds of sound absorption and it was nearly impossible to get a decent recording.

I want to incorporate some lush finger snap layers as heard in the 90s RnB song I've attached. I'm assuming that the snaps could be samples, they could have been recorded live, or perhaps a combination. It doesn't feel like anything too difficult to achieve
To be honest, I'm surprised that you haven't already just tried to record a load of finger clicks. Nothing could be easier.
Remember, they are not going to play a main part in the song. They're not the vocal or the hook or the harmony vocals or the bass or whatever lush spread of sounds you're aiming to include. The majority of people that hear your song are not going to focus on the fingers. In fact, I would hazard a guess that they'll barely register their existence in anything other than a subliminal or unconscious way. They might, if they listen to the song for 20 years. I was listening extensively to a song called "Rain Rider" last week {actually, about 10 days} ~ a song I've been listening to since the start of 2007. And for the first time, I noticed that at the start of the song, in one channel, you can hear the sound of rain hitting the ground. I had not noticed it in 16 years. And even on subsequent listens once I'd discovered it, I didn't focus on it so it would periodically come as a surprise.
Your finger clicks are going to be overshadowed by just about everything else in the ballad. That is, however, no reason not to do a good job and take some time.
If I were recording finger clicks, I would do 6 or 7 {or more or maybe even less} tracks of them, recorded at different speeds with the finger clicker standing in different parts of the room each time. Sometimes right in front of the mic, sometimes a bit back, sometimes behind, sometimes above it, sometimes on the floor; if you have a reverberant room like a toilet or bathroom, do some of them there. Then crunch them together onto one track and as you do that, effect them as you see fit. I sometimes do this with handclaps and the random nature of all those claps is never noticeable.

Back