Female vocals - What a Wonderful World - any thoughts?

Enchilada

Strange person.
I'm still working on how to record female vocals. I wouldn't mind some thoughts on vocals in this cover of What a Wonderful World.

Vocal signal chain - Studio Projects C1 (replaced stock capsule with a 34mm) --> Alctron MP-100 preamp (UA Twin Finity) --> Terratec Mic-8 --> Reaper. Effects/Dynamics - UAD 1176 - Pultec Pro - Dream Verb.

What a Wonderful World

THANKS!!!!

Ench

I really enjoyed the vocal, great tone and feeling in the performance. For me the only nit with the track is that the guitar and vocal both seem to occupy the same space. I'd be inclined to either pan the guitar and vocals away from each other or make the guitar more inclined to be left and right of the vocal as a more distinct stereo spatial sound image, perhaps invert one channel or double track it and have a very delay on one channel to make the listener's brain place it away from being jammed in tight with vocal. I could listen to this all day.

regards

Tim

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't spend much time mixing the song as a whole, just trying to get a good female vocal recording. I'll play with the panning next time I'm in the studio. I could probably double the guitar and offset each take 10ms left and 10ms right to create some width in the mix although it may then take away from the simplicity of the recording.

Some good ideas though, thanks Tim.

Back