Feelin stupid re: ac/dc wallwarts

Soulmann

:facepalm: OK, I have a Peavey AddVerb Rack mount effects unit, it is missing the power supply... the back says 16 VAC... to my understanding, AC adapters (wallwarts) convert to DC, so shouldn't it be a 16VDC 1000ma output I am looking for? :confused:

A wall wart with AC output is just a transformer that lowers the voltage. The rest of the power supply, the rectifier and filter, is in the Peavey's chassis.

I have experience with AD and DC wall warts.

What has been said is true- you need an AC wall wart. Of course, pay attention to the other specs, esp. the amperage rating (1000ma is 1 amp.) You can go with a wart that produces MORE than 1000ma, but don't risk trying one that puts out LESS than 1000ma. You should also check the AC input spec- some may be rated at 110 VAC, some at 115, some at 120. If the unit specs say "at 120VAC," a wart that is rated at 16VAC/1000ma at 110VAC may not be up to spec.

If you have time, go to a second hand store- they ALL have a bin of used warts- paw through them till you find what you need. It'll be dirt cheap, as they almost never sell. If you can't find a 16VAC, you might get by with a 14, almost certaintly with a 18VAC, and that small a difference in voltage (either AC or DC) won't harm your unit (or at least, that's been my experience. YMMV.)

:cool: Awesome, thanks for al lthe help... it makes sense now and I understand what I am looking for.. thanks all!!!

Update on 16 VAC wallwart... Got a good buddy to pick up one I found on the mainland (I live on an Island) 16 VAC 1.1 amp so all will be good as soon enough!!!
Cheers and thanks again !

A wall wart with AC output is just a transformer that lowers the voltage. The rest of the power supply, the rectifier and filter, is in the Peavey's chassis.

yes this is right..

if the unit wants a 16 VAC it wants a wallwart that takes 110/120AC to a lower AC value....

I bought a nice joe meek VC3, the guy had the wrong wall wart, it didnt work right, ...and it was a AC to AC,....he had a AC to DC,

anyway, you got it ....

Back