Favorite Guitar brands?

publicproperty

I prefer Fender, I dunno, I just like how it sounds when I play :)

But I wanna hear your opinions - what is your favorite guitar brands to buy and use?

I am a Gibson man. Fender isn't bad, but I really hate Strats...they're just so plain to me. Heck I've got a Tele, and even that looks plain to me sometimes lol.

I guess PRS would be my second favorite electric brand.

It largely depends what type of sound you are shooting for.

I have two right now, a Les Paul and a Strat.

I am open to any guitar brand as long as it is of quality manufacture. But a Fender (for example), or a Gibson or a Moserite are going to have very different sounds due largely to pickup type and sustain based on design characteristics, and thus be suited to very divergent applications.

I want an SG, but not bad enough to spend the money for the limited additional tones that it would add to my current arsenal.

For some reason, PRS has never done it for me.
I know too many rich college kids whose parents bought them for them so they could show off how rich and cool they are to their roomates in their dorm rooms (even though they can't play).

Hollow body electrics (Gretsch, etc) have never really grabbed me, either.

Some I like just for looks (Gibson Explorer for example, one of which I owned for about 10 years, and perhaps the bitchin looking clear acrylic body BC Rich).

I dislike the seven string drop tuned metal guitars, maybe I'm wrong because I am just too old,
but I am nonetheless categorically unimpressed with the lack of versatility of these so called "musical" instruments.

Last edited:
Fender strats and Gibson Les Pauls are the be all and end all of my guitar world. I'm old and brainwashed though.
I just bought a 1978 Ibanez that is amazing and the first thought to hit my mind is "this is really a good guitar ....to be an "off" brand.

I can't help it ...Gibson and Fender set the bar on electric guitars and will always be the only "name brand" electric guitars in my mind.
Even PRS is nothing more than a very well crafted "off brand" to me.
LOL
I'm a dinosaur I know.

A strat and LP will pretty much do everything you ever need to do.

I don't really play guitar, I tend to like the sounds of Gibson more.

I hate pauls and yes, I've had a bunch of them.
Ergonomically they suck unless you never play above the 10th fret.
They do sound great though.

Strats bore me though I also have a few of those.
I tend to like 'off brand' stuff.

But to be sure, I'm not very partial to any one brand.

To me, a guitar is like a tool. You use the one that fits what you're trying to do. I play a Rickenbacker 650, a Strat, and an Ibanez Satriani. All 3 have their purposes for me because I like to get a lot of different sounds and play different styles. I'll probably get a Les Paul or a PRS for my next guitar but who knows I might just fall in love with something at the store.

Electrics I have: 2 Brunos*, 1 Guyatone*, 1 Epiphone, 1 Emperador, 1 Vantage*, 2 no names.
Acoustics: 1 333 & 1 Fender.
Can you see a pattern?
Truth be told the purchases have been over 30+ years and lack of money was the determining factor.
The * instruments play as well as any I've had my hands on across 38 years of playing.
That's not to say Others haven't sounded or looked better - playability is a big issue with my little, knotted hands.
I've played a couple of excellent LPs but I had a bowed back after 10 mins.
If I had the money to spend what would I buy?
There's a 6 pickup Teisco I'd love to own or a Mosrite Ventures model, then again a Burns Steer would be wonderful.

It's been a long time since I've had a single "favorite" guitar because it really depends on the sound I want. I have a '76 Les Paul Custom.........a '79 Strat.......a Ric 325.......and an Ovation for banging around.......and each one is my favorite when I'm playing it. They're all so completely different from each other........they're like kids.......you really can't favor just one of them all the time.

Back