Famous tracks recorded with Shure SM7b...

lttoler

Can anyone tell me some major tracks or albums that have been recorded with this mic? Seems like some of the John Mayer stuff was recorded with one...

Can anyone tell me some major tracks or albums that have been recorded with this mic? Seems like some of the John Mayer stuff was recorded with one...

The infamous Thriller album by you-know-who-and-we're-hearing-too-much-of-lately-just-let-him-die-already. :D In fact, our very own Harvey Gerst once owned that very mic and maybe has sold it back to Michael Wagener(????) was he the engineer on that album?? I guess I could google it. Nahhh...

Id have thought that it was the SM7 the b came later...

Led Zeppelin...
Bad Company...
Bob Seger...
Pearl Jam...
It was good for just about any Male vocal that could get loud.

The infamous Thriller album by you-know-who-and-we're-hearing-too-much-of-lately-just-let-him-die-already. :D In fact, our very own Harvey Gerst once owned that very mic and maybe has sold it back to Michael Wagener(????) was he the engineer on that album?? I guess I could google it. Nahhh...
It was Bruce Swedien, not Mr. Wagener.

The SM7 is used in just about every radio staion that isn't use an RE-20. It's one of the most common broadcast mics around. You hear something through an SM7 every day.

It was actually the mic Bruce used for the BAD album, not Thriller. I sold it back to him for exactly what I paid for it - around $250.

The SM7 is also a staple lead vocal mic around Nashville and has been for years.

It was Bruce Swedien, not Mr. Wagener.

The SM7 is used in just about every radio staion that isn't use an RE-20. It's one of the most common broadcast mics around. You hear something through an SM7 every day.

It was actually the mic Bruce used for the BAD album, not Thriller. I sold it back to him for exactly what I paid for it - around $250.

The SM7 is also a staple lead vocal mic around Nashville and has been for years.

Ahhh, ya see. That's why I don't need google. :) Thanks for setting me straight.

You could have been a rich man...there were clowns buying tickets to that memorial spectical in the millions...a mic like that could have fetched tens and thousands...

BTW...those ECM8000 mics are still here...Rose Mercury used them on one of her early CDs...and she might take off.:cool:

Last edited:
FWIW a nice alternative to a SM7 is the Beyer (or Beyerdynamic) M400 Soundstar MKII.
IMHO it usually works better with a prosumer mic pre vs. the SM7.

I suppose another good choice would be the transformer-less mod on a SM57 or '58.

Anyway...

IIRC the SM7 has been used on various Sheryl Crow, and Rod Stewart recordings-among many others.

(The SM57 was used on Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean")

Chris

P.S. Paul Rodgers's and Robert Plant's preferred studio vocal mic is the SM57 over the SM7 BTW.

Back