Falling Sky - Alternative Rock Song Idea

jonlint

Hi all,

Working on a new song idea. Solo may need to be added, but before I continue, feedback is most welcome on what I have. Also feedback on if I should add a solo or leave the mid part as an instrumental break.

Thanks in advance and rock on!

FALLING SKY
(Words by Jonathan Linton, Music by Jonathan Linton)

Tonnes of steel
Hid in a hole
Mankind
Out of control
Ways to die
Button pressed
And blown sky high

Dodged bullets of extinction
Now you’re obsessed with

Jurisdiction
Your conviction
Nationalize
Human demise

You keep the scouring
Miss the warning
Only realize
When the sky is
Falling!
When the sky is
Falling!
Falling!

Red alert
Flip the switch
Could be
Doomsday glitch
Who gave
You the right
To decide
Mankind’s plight

Dodged bullets of extinction
Now you’re obsessed with

Jurisdiction
Your conviction
Nationalize
Human demise

Falling Sky V2 by Jonathan Linton 4 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I like this song.

The rhythm guitar is harassing the vocals. Other than EQ out of the vocal's way, I think you might want to try sidechain compression so the guitar ducks a bit for the vocal transients. I also think the vocals could use a touch more thickening, particularly for the more aggressive parts.

Maybe some form of background vocals to support the hook. Definitely at 2:58 there should be some sort of chorusing or background going on - coming after the solo I think it begs for a grandiose sound.

A song like this needs a guitar solo. That you even think twice about it is a bit suspect, particularly in these times that guitar leads are nearly gone from all mainstream music. Also I want this solo louder, it's pretty tasty.

I also think the vocals could use a touch more thickening, particularly for the more aggressive parts.

Maybe some form of background vocals to support the hook. Definitely at 2:58 there should be some sort of chorusing or background going on - coming after the solo I think it begs for a grandiose sound.

On that note, I'd say the chorus vocals are too similar to the verse vocals. I'm wanting to hear something bigger, like a double and/or stereo chorus vocal, harmonies, something more.

In the first half, the chugs are kind of hard to distinguish as the snare seems to be cutting through the sides too much. It doesn't sound like just guitar chugging - it sounds like a wash of instruments squashed together. See 0:27-40. Those chugs seem to have snare packed in on the sides, rather than snare straight down the middle. Is there excess snare in the OH's?

Back