"Fader lube" discussion: do it, don't do it, use this, use that, or?

Blue Jinn

Rider of the ARPocalypse
So posting here, but this is applicable also to synths, especially ARPs and Crumars that use sliders instead of knobs. Now hopefully this isn't a car polish on analog tape worthy flame war, but curious as to people's opinions and their preferred stuff. I've heard everything from use nothing, to De-oxit, Faderlube, BlueShower, etc., etc. Also, I've heard, just desolder all the pots, take them apart, clean them with (with what) re-assemble and re-solder, which is a job I might consider in the after-life, but not now. I got loaned a can of something I'm not sure what it is, but came highly recommended by a highly recommended tech and so far so good.

For potentiometers, whether rotary (pots) or linear (sliders), if they have a carbon type element I’ve always used DeoxIT F5. That’s “Faderlube”. I’m not suggesting it’s the only thing you should use or it’s the best thing, I’ve just always had good experiences with their D5 product for cleaning metal-to-metal contacts, and F5 is designed for carbon element potentiometers…it cleans and leaves a light lubricant to do…something. Anyway…if you have vindictive plastic faders you just use water, ideally distilled, and a clean microfiber cloth. The thing is, Don, to your point, you can net anything in a pot but there’s still likely to be maybe stuff in there. But not a lot. Unless the device has been really in a bad environment. I’ve had good success giving a healthy jet of F5 into the pot, exercising it, and then a rinsing jet, positioning it to dry so the element is vertical and a hole in the pot body is facing down to facilitate draining. For faders, if we’re talking about the low profile budget horizontal element ALPS faders that are installed on a lot of stuff, those tend to collect a lot of yuck and I usually end up disassembling those to spray F5, gently wipe with a soft cloth, and usually repeat that step because they are so filthy, and jet the wiper too and *gently* wipe. It’s really the only way to really clean it unless you are going to position the fader upside down so you can hose it down with spray like you’re hosing out an upturned bucket after washing the car.

For potentiometers, whether rotary (pots) or linear (sliders), if they have a carbon type element I’ve always used DeoxIT F5. That’s “Faderlube”.

Thanks. I guess I could pull the whole board out and tilt it upside down to do as you're suggesting on the rinse cycle. The stuff I got loaned comes literally in a plain white can. I actually shot a video, as these Avatar sliders were so stiff I was afraid I'd break one, the stuff was amazing. I'm not sure what the stuff is, but the guy buys it in quantity.

Back