External 2 channel Equalizer, balanced input/output issue

jerberson12

mucis procedure
I am new to hooking up external processor since I always use software.
I bought an external 2 channel equalizer (BSS Opal 966), it has 1 balanced input and 1 balanced output per channel.
I am trying to use just one channel assuming it can grab a stereo signal.

First question....Balanced input means stereo, right?

Setup 1
Synthesizer -> (Left output-> MONO TS Left, Right output -> MONO TS Right) -> Merged to 1/4 Stereo TRS -> (balanced input of Equalizer) -> (balanced output of equalizer) -> 1/4 stereo TSR output -> splitter (TS Left Input, TS Right Input) -> Left and Right input of Interface Line In.

This setup does not comes out right. The volume is a little low and sound like mono, both right and left panned intruments are pretty close to the center.

So what I did, I use both channels of EQ, channel 1 for left and channel 2 for right

Setup 2
Synthesizer -> left output -> left balance input of equalizer -> left balance output of equalizer -> left input of interface
and then right output of synth -> right balance input of equalizer -> right balance output of equalizer -> right input of interface.

Now this comes out right but the thing is I have to EQ process each side , EQ left and then EQ right separately.
What I wanted to do is EQ the stereo output of synthesizer in just one channel.

So my still question is, Is one balanced Input can take a stereo source?
If I have a 2 channel EQ, does it mean, it is intended to be hook up for left input for channel 1 and right input for channel 2?

First question....Balanced input means stereo, right?

No. It means it can accept a balanced connection. Keep in mind, that when you have an unbalanced connection on one end of the cable, to a balanced connection on the other, the signal is actually unbalanced. EVERYTHING needs to be balanced in order for the signal to be balanced.

Balanced connecton = TRS, XLR, (1/8" maybe?)

Unbalanced = TS, Guitar jack.

Can one balanced input take a stereo source?

Still no. If you look at any stereo compressor (A compressor actually built for mixing a stereo track), it has two inputs.

You can do your setup 2. But like you said, you need to do everything separately.

Back