Exporting Yamaha MD8 Date Minidisks into my computer

Alan F Brookes

I have several Yamaha MD8 units, with years of recordings on Data Minidisks. What is the best way to import them into my computer, so that I can use my computer software?

Your MD8 has 8 direct out feeds that can be used to send to an audio interface on a computer. You'll want something with 8 inputs, like a Tascam 16x08, Focusrite 18i20, or Presonus 1824C. Then it would be a simple matter of feeding the outputs into the interface, loading up a proper multitrack capable software, like Reaper, and hitting record on the computer and play on the MD8. It should be a very straightforward conversion.

Once done, you'll have 8 individual wave files on your computer for later mixdown, modification, etc.

See Page 85 of the user manual for a very basic explanation of the setup.

The direct outputs are -10dB, so you'll want to use that setting on the interface if given a choice. You'll need 8 cables with RCA to whatever connector your interface uses. Most likely it will be an 1/4" jack, either TS or TRS.

Just as an aside, its extremely unlikely that you'll be able to read the disks directly in a MD drive on a computer. Any audio will be encoded in 5:1 compressed ATRAC encoding to be able to store more data. I don't know that the TOC and data are in a standard format.

I’ve done it with the MD4 (four channel version)

You can’t transfer any of the digital data, you’re just able to transfer the analog audio files. All the outputs are after it’s converted.

On the bright side, think of it as you were transferring a CD into your daw. Both are 16 bit

While not exactly the same, I did something similar back in 2017 and 18, where I had 100 or so songs that I needed to transfer from an 8-track cassette portastudio to my DAW. I was able to get the 8 tracks out simultaneously in real time and it felt like it took forever.
But it didn't, and all of the songs were salvageable, I'm glad to say. When you transfer them, be alert.

Back