Experienced Advice Requested: Rack Space Computer Case Noise Isolation Cabinet

Twinhit

You gotta speak up!
Rack%20Space%20Computer%20Isolation%20Cabinet.jpg

I am working on a design to reduce noise caused by the computer's power supply and case fans which are amplified via the metal case.

The cases are as you see in the picture above. They are standard 19" 4U computer cases with a front intake behind the door on the left and power supply exhaust in the rear as typical.

What is prompting me to consider this project is that the fan induced noise is about -30dB on my peakmeter. A pair of 3/4" laminated boards sitting directly in front of the fan only reduces noise at best by -5 dB.
The greater noise is generated through the power supply exhaust fan. bouncing off the wall behind the desk upon which the case sits on.

The graphic drawing, above omits the planned front door which would have a foam panel of some sort on the inside and perhaps a magnetic strip as used on a refridgerator door. Some early tests on an actual refridgerator had demonstrated a dramatic noise reduction - my guess is something to the tune of as much as 40-50 dB reduction. but that's only a guess. (Wish I had dB/Freq meter)

This initial drawing attempts to illustrate the Bank Vault stepped-panel-like design
You will notice between the inner and outer box a 1.5" polyethelene foam gasket.
Initial thoughts were to incorporate solid foam panels that run the depth of the chassis, however, I am suspecting this "might" not be necessary and airspace or a different product may improve on the isolation.

The door would be removeable for convenience' sake. Only time the door would actually be needed is when recording in the same room.

Ventilation is achieved by means of ducted air which travels from the rear of the cabinet to the front between the upper and lower computer cases. (What appears to be blank plate is open space) Auxillary cabinet fans and ducting to be ironed out. I am visualizing an intake and exhaust port which are exceptionally large with some sort of "muffler" like design incorporated in.

I've been researching ways to quiet down the computer, the source of the noise with
some ideas coming to mind from inspiration of studio and industrial soundproofing and acoustics treatment. But boy that's an awful lot of reading and disciphering.

It would seem to me that I might be better off using less surface contact than to use inner box size foam panels as the substrate for the case cabinet (inner box).
Ie less foot print = less mechanical vibration transfer.

Would anyone in the know have any ideas or suggestions??

There has been post about this in the past but I can't remember where they are.
Are your fans as clean as they can be?

There has been post about this in the past but I can't remember where they are.
Are your fans as clean as they can be?

Yep.
I will admit that the power supply unit (PSU) is the noisiest. More so than the fan in the front. However, it IS clean, BUT.... there is noise that reminds me of worn bearings which
suggests bearing race play is out of specs. But that's not the only noise that is being picked up by the microphone. It is also the wind generated by the fan.

To reduce case resonance, I was reminded of soundproofing products and strategies used in semi-trucks and classic cars and hot rods. (I used to drive semi's and tinkered with
with old cars)
Here is the product I was thinking of applying to internal surfaces of the computer case. RoadblockR Automotive Sound Dampening

Here's a little trick you (or anyone else) can try at home:
Grab a transistor radio and tune in to a good signal, turn the volume up all the way. Put it inside a refridgerator and close the door. You should immediately notice the dramatic drop in noise.
The same effect is what I am attempting to achieve here.

For the door, I figured a magnetic gasket would work but any type rubber should work well too. The point is the get a positive seal all the way around the door. This way noise cannot escape
through cracks. 3/8" thick Large 20+" diameter industrial/commercial/residential O-rings used in older stainless steel swimming pool filters might be a good candidate for a seal provided the
door or outer box edge is routed at the correct depth using a coring bit.
Other commercially available products might work too.
http://www.cooler-gaskets.com/

Last edited:
Back