Ever heard of a reamer?

I am speaking about metal. Another thing, if the reamer is not running true, you will get a bellmouthed hole. I am also talking about tolerances in the tenths of thousandths of an inch, something you never work with in wood.

I used reamers for lifter bores on 2000+ hp turbo/nitrous big blocks. We had to machine those things to .0001" - a tenth of a hair. Very very precise. No room for error or kaboom.

That sounds like a whole nuther thread right there. Is that for racing engines? Like dragsters or something?

Many years ago I learned the hard way not to enlarge an existing tuner hole with a drill bit. It started to chip the mahogany and I stopped just in time as the drill jammed its way in. Instead of cutting the hole larger it forced its way in very quickly as the smaller inner recessed part of the drill bit made its way in to the existing hole. I managed to get it back out by slowly reversing the drill by hand with vice grips. I was lucky the headstock did not split from this wedging effect. From then on I use only tapered reamers. I go from both sides slowly until the tuner is snug. Going from both sides makes the tightest fit in the center of the headstock. If you only go from one side you will have one side a bit smaller diameter than the other. For new holes in headstocks a brad point bit in a drill press works the best.

Many years ago I learned the hard way not to enlarge an existing tuner hole with a drill bit. It started to chip the mahogany and I stopped just in time as the drill jammed its way in. Instead of cutting the hole larger it forced its way in very quickly as the smaller inner recessed part of the drill bit made its way in to the existing hole. I managed to get it back out by slowly reversing the drill by hand with vice grips. I was lucky the headstock did not split from this wedging effect. From then on I use only tapered reamers. I go from both sides slowly until the tuner is snug. Going from both sides makes the tightest fit in the center of the headstock. If you only go from one side you will have one side a bit smaller diameter than the other. For new holes in headstocks a brad point bit in a drill press works the best.

I'm not sure what tuners you would have been trying to fit but you only need to ream one side of the hole on a tuner hole. You cut on the rear face so the collar is then a push fit. A peg head reamer is designed so that the bush if there is one fits the hole made on the reverse face and either push fits or is threaded into the collar. Most are tapered 14:1. If that isn't the case you have the wrong reamer for the job.

I'm not sure what tuners you would have been trying to fit but you only need to ream one side of the hole on a tuner hole. You cut on the rear face so the collar is then a push fit. A peg head reamer is designed so that the bush if there is one fits the hole made on the reverse face and either push fits or is threaded into the collar. Most are tapered 14:1. If that isn't the case you have the wrong reamer for the job.

No bushings, Grover Deluxe. My reamer is from StewMac. I can see if I was using bushings how you would want the smallest taper on the face so the bushing fits snug. StewMac has special bits that will give you a stepped hole for use with Wavery tuners.

If there are no bushings all the more reason to just ream from one side. You do not need to open the hole on the post side. You need to only ream from one face.

Stewmac sell an necessary and expensive jig for fitting Waverly tuners. They sell a one step two bore bit for tuner holes. Again, you don't need it.

If there are no bushings all the more reason to just ream from one side. You do not need to open the hole on the post side. You need to only ream from one face.

Stewmac sell an necessary and expensive jig for fitting Waverly tuners. They sell a one step two bore bit for tuner holes. Again, you don't need it.

Reaming from both sides for the Grovers makes the hole have less air space. When the smallest part of the hole is in the center, both outer diameters are exactly the same size, which would be smaller than the diameter of the hole on the back size of the headstock if you reamed form the back only. It works very well for me.

Reaming from both sides for the Grovers makes the hole have less air space. When the smallest part of the hole is in the center, both outer diameters are exactly the same size, which would be smaller than the diameter of the hole on the back size of the headstock if you reamed form the back only. It works very well for me.

:facepalm:

Back