EV 635 vs PL5

mixmkr

we don't need rest!!
what's the difference between these two mics, besides the numbers that describe them...and the price, and the fact you never see a PL5 in a newscasters hand?

and...what's the deal with the PL series of mics. Cheapie "live use" mics??

sigh..... only 30 views after a couple days too.. sigh... and even with a lousy "bump"

I guess a post title with only numbers IS kinda boring...

maybe I should have said...___________!!!!!! ...or...{NO>>WAIT...GREAT $35 MICROPHONE!!!}

c'mon...these are popular omni mics. And personally a steal I think, for what you see them selling used.

Anyone tried the Studio Projects B(635a)1?? :D :D

dont know the differences on these models, but in general i believe that the pl series mics arent at all different in terms of build, but were marketed differently.

i would buy one 635 and one pl5 and see for yourself.

why not?

eeldip said:

i would buy one 635 and one pl5 and see for yourself.

why not?

uh...uh....uh....uh....

slightly different shape...not much else...color too..

Attachments

• 635 and pl5.jpg
    635 and pl5.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,761
I guess dynamic omin mics aren't much of interest around here anymore...competing with all these fancy condensors. Every now and then you'll hear mention of a RE20 or even the Beyer m160. But, just your "typical, cheapie" used mic, it doesn't draw attention...I can see that. Oh..the sm57 too...oh yeah... but then again, they're not omnis. You don't see that many omnis talked about around here. If Harvey hadn't had mentioned his ECM8000 "find" awhile back, I'd venture you almost see NO discussion on omnis.

I feel I have the right to be really disgusted with this mic forum without getting an answer to what I thought would be a fairly simple question. I guess to be a mic guru, you have to specialize in Studio Projects spec info, and bash the MXL2001.

Actually, I'm not disgusted (that would be really kinda silly now, wouldn't it;) ).

so....how about just considering this another "bump" for 10 more views?:eek:

Chess...tube, Harvey.... none of you guys have seen this post and know the answer??

or...even the balls to say..."I don't know".....?:)

I apologize for my "tone" in the above post. It's midafternoon, Sunday, just got up, a little hungry, haven't played my banjo yet today, and I need to go weed the garden...but I prefer typing and hanging around here!! Kinda an internal, disapline kinda struggle. You guys all know that, eh??

try asking this question over on the tape op board. a couple dynamic omni fans over there.

have you checked out the beyer m55? good looking little mic. it is supposed to be a bit less peaky than the EVs...

My understanding is that they are the same microphone, however, it was a case of the "PL" being marketed to music stores, rather than the "EV" going to pro audio outlets.

They can sound great on certain voices, outperforming expensive Neumann's. Like a SM57 though, they need a good quiet mic pre that "loads" well to really shine.

I have the EV 635a and on my voice, it sounds best on ballsy rock and roll material FWIW.
It was a very popular microphone with many early rock and roll,
and blues artists. Glen Campbell used a silver one on his TV show :).

Chris

The 635 is a well respected mic that's still popular with a lot of studios. But I haven't had much experience with the EV dynamic mics, so I'm afraid I won't be able to be of much help. Sorry.

thanks guys, for the replies. I like the mics very much. I found I like them on drum toms, even being omni's because the bleed was nice and uniform, and they seem to be a pretty rugged little mic.

Glen Campbell...eh? missed that one. Seemed he always used some white mic or something that looked out of Flash Gordon. I used to own the mixing board that he recorded a couple of his hits on...but that was over 20 years ago that I let it go.

I always thought he was/is an amazing guitar player too....while I'm tangenting off in another direction....

I've got a whole pile of other PL series mics too... The PL91 in particular. Seems it was EV's version of the SM58. I used those for YEARS playing out, and they always worked well.

Glen Campbell used a silver EV 635a on his show.

I like the EV 635a especially on 1st and 2nd tenor voices,
the only soprano voice tried (wife's) sounded excellent through it.
Supposedly, Elvis had some early RCA hits with it.

Chris

I still use a pair of EV PL5's for micing drums live performance. Mostly on snare/hi-hat or wherever needed. A friend gave me these mic's years ago. He claimed he used them back in the 80's and no longer had a need or wanted them. They still work great. When I ran front of house sound during the 90's and through early 2000 I used the PL5's, SM57's, Samson Q3's for most drums and/or guitar amp mic's. Sounded good through my 32 channel mixing board with compression and out the 18" sub-woofers, 15" mids and horns. All run in stereo 3-way crossover.

I have used many microphones for live performance as well as home recording. Some do indeed outshine others but, most mics can sound good/great if you enhance them and know how to tweak them. Just my opinion.

Back