Equipment Advice !

Jensonn

Hi all,
Is it possible to record (visual and audio) myself playing my saxophone so I can send it to my tutor?
I have tried using my Maono mic into the laptop and used the web cam but the sound is dreadful
Any suggestions please?
TIA

I would suggest getting an Audio Interface and another Mic which is designed to use XLR connections on both ends. You can get a very good starter setup for under $300.

Example :

If you have smartphone you can try that. Keep in mind that any respectable tutor would be able to identify elements of your playing technique from stuff that you send, even if the quality isn't the best.

However, if you want to go further with recordinging, then you would need to do as Spantini says, and get equipment specifically designed to do that,

Several solutions come to mind.
A 'proper' digital camera such as my Fuji A180 or Panasonic DMC-FX01 will record video and sound to an internal SD card which you can plug into a PC or transfer via USB.
Another is a USB microphone. A very decent one is a Citronics model. Then you use the laptop's camera or, USB cameras are very cheap and give better picture quality and greater positional flexibility, many have built in mics. have one that I use for Skyping my son (because 'king Skype keeps losing the internal camera!) I am pretty sure they come with some basic recording software? I shall check.

When I Skype I wear a headset and that goes to a small USB dongle, a TECKNET device which is a A/D+D/A converter and works very well. I see no reason why a USB camera AND a USB mic should not work? Or even a camera and USB interface as mentioned.
I assume in all this you are trying to keep expenditure to a minimum?

Many years ago my son have to send a real time recording of him on guitar to audition for a job on ships, We ran a mic into a Behringer mixer in the bedroom "studio" and the mixer feed to a DVD (Freeview) recorder in my living room. I borrowed a camcorder and ran the RCA comp' video out to the recorder as well. He didn't get the job...those shipboard musos are GOOD!

Do let me know if any of the above interest you and I shall try to rig a test.

My USB camera does indeed record video but not, AFAICT sound. However if you set Audacity recording and record picture playback gives both. I also suspect you could do all of this in Reaper or at least edit the results?
Or! just come to me, can you not Skype the chap in real time? He will then get sound and vision (and I know a USB mic works in Skype) and can even record the call.

Dave.

Last edited:
I’m surprised this got resurrected. In fact a big standard iPhone has really good audio for this kind of thing. I covid lockdown I recorded a choir and string quartet and every source was via iPhone or android and not one person commented on the audio quality. Learning how to position mics and fathom our audacity seem out of proportion. The obvious thing to the op long gone would be ask the music teacher. They may have no need for high audio quality if they are interested in pitch, rhythm and technique

Back