Equalization

Joejoe

Im trying to understand Graphic Equalization..I know the terms of what its used for.For example i recorded a classical guitar and im wondering how should i start eqing.It could use allittle bass cut and high lift.Should i eq that way everytime with other instruments.It sounds equalized to me.Its just that i have so many bands and frequency's in my equalizers that it could take me hours till i get a clear sound.I still can't even decide then..Should i do roll off's or specific frequency cuts.I havnt had much success.

Reverb with allot of custom settings as well..I start my mix level at 0 and keep adding.Chorus as well.I know what diffuse,brightness etc does.I have poor judgement so im using presets.Im still practicing. Appreciate the guidence.
Ill follow up on sites
Thanx

Here are a few basic pointers with regard to equalization:

1) Don't use it unless you absolutely have to: If the sound you are trying to record just doesn't quite cut it, try changing microphone placement, or the amp settings, or your technique, or your instrument settings. Play the sound against the other instruments and try to determine exactly what the sound needs in the proper context. Only when you can't fix the problem with one of the adjustments mentioned above, then you can look towards using EQ. The reason for using EQ as a last resort is because many equalizers add additional colors to the sound that you may not want. Furthermore, using eq is risky at the recording stage in that you may decide later that the processed sound doesn't sound as good as you thought it did. Try to hold off on using eq until you mix.

2) Start with flat eq settings: If you decide that you really need to use eq, then before you plug it into your signal chain, set all the faders at zero. You want to start tweaking fresh. Also, you will most likely have different eq settings for each sound (or collective group of sounds) you want to tweak, so although slapping on a preset eq setting may fix some parts of your sound it will also over-emphasize others. Treat each sound on its own terms.

3) Cut before boost: If you want more low end, raising the lower frequencies will create more noise. Reduce the highs before you raise the lows. Besides, if you find that it sounds better after cutting the highs, then you fixed your problem and reduced noise.

4) Ignore the graphic pattern: A clerk at radio shack who knows nothing about recording will think that the "u" shape on the eq always means that you are capturing the frequencies correctly. Wrong. Use your ears as to what should sound good, not your eyes.

Cy

thanx i really appreciate it..My thoughts on equipment are now optional..It makes more sense without these complicated layouts..
I should be paying more attention to the mix rather then fixing it after.

Is it possible there could be nothing wrong with the eq when mastering..I'm using cool edit pro's noise reduction.Is there any easier way of getting rid of background hiss.

Parametric EQ?

How exactly does a parametric EQ differ from the "slider" type? Are they worth buying?

Parametric EQs allow you the flexibility of changing not only the frequency and amount of boost/cut, they also allow you to vary the slope (also known as "Q") of the boost/cut (ie, how many frequencies around your selected one that get affected)

In a graphic EQ, you have no control over the Q, and if you boost at 2Khz for example, you also boost a wide number of frequencies around 2Khz.
This lack of precise control is what makes graphic EQs quite useless in the studio.

Bruce

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the clarification. My D1600 has a parametric EQ, but I wasn't sure what all of the settings meant.

I think I'll look into buying one.

CHeck out the Speck ASC, then... a tad pricey, but I;ve heard that its one of those RNC kinda things... sounds MUCH more expensive than it is. Fletcher has them on his site.

Back