"Elizabeth's Song" Orginial Composition

jddrock

This is a song my Mom and I wrote together in 2013 for one of our church's dramas. When I recorded this I had very limited equipment, experience, and knowledge about mixing. Because of this the tracks themselves have some issues, namely noise. Some of them are in fact very noisy. But I like the song and wanted to try to fix it and bring the quality up from where it was 3 or so years ago. I've heard it so many times now that I may be losing clear perspective on what it sounds like to everyone else, so any comments on how to make this better is much appreciated.
A couple things to keep in mind: I'm open to different directions for this song, but the sound I've been going for is a more "homey" sound. It doesn't need to sound super polished, but I don't want it to sound like garbage either. Also, when I put it up against a professional mix mine sounds a little darker, not as bright. If I EQ it to match other mixes it sounds brittle to me and loses it's warmth, but like I said I definitely don't have fresh ears on this mix anymore. Thanks in advance for lending me your fresh ears! :)
"Elizabeth's Song" : Playing: Elizabeth's Song(Draft 1).mp3 - picosong

Hey Jddrock. I really like that intro music. The synth pad and vocal over it. It's cool sounding. When the voice comes in it's a bit jarring because her tone is so different...the vocalist is frigid sounding. Kind of robotic. The music turns robotic, too. Almost like midi/grid music with a robotic voice over it. I'm not sensing a lot of "feel" in it.

The mix needs some lower mids cut. It's not bad for an early recording, though.

Thanks for listening Nola!
When the voice comes in it's a bit jarring because her tone is so different...the vocalist is frigid sounding. Kind of robotic. The music turns robotic, too. Almost like midi/grid music with a robotic voice over it. I'm not sensing a lot of "feel" in it.
I've had another person tell me this as well. It seems to be the downside to the song. I wish I would have been more experienced 3 years ago, lol, but, I guess I'll have to make the best of it. :) I'll take a look at those low-mids as well.

Music does sound very "midi" sounding. But otherwise not bad. Like your vocal tone. Nice song, just needs a better musical bed, imo.

Nice harmonies, too. Same vocalist? Could have brought them in sooner, I think.

Music does sound very "midi" sounding. But otherwise not bad. Like your vocal tone. Nice song, just needs a better musical bed, imo.

Nice harmonies, too. Same vocalist? Could have brought them in sooner, I think.

There are two vocalists here, a Mom and daughter duo. :) Could you guys maybe tell me what made the song "midi" sounding? Everything here was recorded with mics. The only midi instrument used was the accordian.

Back