electronic keyboard/midi controller

A MIDI controller doesn't produce sounds on it's own - it needs to be connected to a computer running a software instrument/VSTi. It usually is, but doesn't have to be, a keyboard. It may provide have other things like knobs and pads that can be mapped to functions in the VSTi or DAW.

When I think of an electronic keyboard, it's a thing with a keyboard that has it's own sound generator. It may or not have a MIDI interface or be able to connect to a computer.

Hope that helps.

J

yes thanks it does ok so when you see a 3 tier keyboard stand there is usually a small one at the top what is that please i have a photo but dont know how to put it on here

The small keyboard at the top is the lightest one in your rig that you are strong enough to lift up that high.

If they both have MIDI OUT's an electronic keyboard and a controller could probably serve the same function --powering external devices. The keyboard volume might need to be turned down though and the MIDI channel setting might need to be set to OMNI or some similar keyboard function - so the external devices you are driving are receiving on the correct channel. And then...there is the question of patch-mapping.

I always thought of "electronic keyboard" as a broad, umbrella term for anything electronic that has those black and white piano key looking thingies. :) Basically, any keyboard that's "electronic." It could be a MIDI controller, a synthesizer, a "digital piano" (which is also sometimes used broadly but often means something that most closely resembles a real piano), etc.

Back