Electro/funk/rock satire - "The New Zillennial Dream"

Stevie_M

I hope this track doesn't offend any Zillennials (Gen Z'ers) out there - it's all meant in good fun! Curious for thoughts on the mix and overall vibe. Thanks guys!

Stevie , I thought it had a Great vibe , guitars , and especially vocals. Mix wise I think the track that sounded like drawn out hand claps had too much fade in on the samples. I believe you would gain some "punch" letting it come in hard on the beat. It had some nice sizzle to it but almost sounded like it was coming in late. I also think the change coming in at 2:34 was pretty abrupt , like it needed some guitar tail from the last section bleeding into it , smoothing it a little. Neither of these are deal breakers , just suggestions in my opinion for improvement. Great job ! enjoyed it .. mark

That sounded great - retro vibes but at the same time quite contemporary sounding. I love that funky guitar tone and pulsating bassline.

Stevie , I thought it had a Great vibe , guitars , and especially vocals. Mix wise I think the track that sounded like drawn out hand claps had too much fade in on the samples. I believe you would gain some "punch" letting it come in hard on the beat. It had some nice sizzle to it but almost sounded like it was coming in late. I also think the change coming in at 2:34 was pretty abrupt , like it needed some guitar tail from the last section bleeding into it , smoothing it a little. Neither of these are deal breakers , just suggestions in my opinion for improvement. Great job ! enjoyed it .. mark
Mark, fantastic observation on the slow attack on the snare. I think I fixed it by adjusting the attack and compression controls - how does it sound now?

Also fixed the tail on the guitar solo @ 2:34 - VERY good ears. Sound better now?

this makes me feel like im being pulled in and out, like a hot chic dancing over and grabs my shirt then drops me like a virus. then reads me the riot act while holding her stiletto's on my throat. then the sky opens... and the royal blue sky accepts me.

Yeah , just great ...love the guitars , very full spacious mix on my headphones, cool guitar solo, really liked the way you ended song with solo guitar.....checked out your soundcloud site, loved some of your cover choices(Pink Floyd Animals, Prince Sign O' The Times )

I dont like the style, but this definately sounds good, man! It felt like I was teleported to the 80's or to GTA Vice city's universe.

Lol, I was in the middle of typing my feedback until I realised I commented last month. Really evocative track. How do you create that funk guitar tone? Is it just single coils and tonnes of compression? Also are you double tracking that solo, or just using echo?

Lol, I was in the middle of typing my feedback until I realised I commented last month. Really evocative track. How do you create that funk guitar tone? Is it just single coils and tonnes of compression? Also are you double tracking that solo, or just using echo?

Hey Frank! Funk tone is a single coil strat on the funky mid/bridge pickup with fairly standard compression. I double tracked the guitar solo panned left and right to give it a huge sound that sums to mono.

Back