Edelweiss (Sound of music cover)

Hi all,
I tried my hand at one of my favorites. Two vocal tracks and one guitar track. I would love to hear your thoughts.
Cheers,
HV

I listened twice.
The song itself is not my kinda thing, but the performance is a respectable effort.
Nobody's heard me sing here yet, so well done for coming out of the closet!

It’s very clean and bright. Capture is managed pretty well. Oddly though, much of it is more double tracked than two voices. As you’ve tweaked the arrangement it’s noticeable because the voices come in where we don’t expect them. You do it in the intro where convention suggest, if you know the original, that the voice arrives on a different chord. We hear the first chord as chord I, so we hear I, V, I, V then we expect the first notes to be in the I key, but it shocks us by actually being IV, I, IV, I, then I. We then get the double tracked really accurate melody, and suddenly we get a very quiet hum and the faster phrases that make you jump a bit. You could have panned the voices apart so we could hear each one better and realise it was a duet, not a thicker solo voice. It’s also unusual to hear two voices singing in unison like this, so you’ve certainly created something a bit different. The problem is just that all the energy is in the same place. The guitar favours the upper strings rarely E and A so it’s in the same place as the voices are. No energy at the bottom, so a bass of some kind may have helped. The guitar and vocal sync is a bit shaky in places, one going ahead. Not sure if this was intentional, but it sounded a bit strange in those places. The guitar track had a few bum notes in it. Not wrong notes, just muted or miss twanged.

it’s very clean, and the mic positions you used worked well. My comments come from years of examining, so I struggle to turn that off. Not meant as criticism as it’s really good for a beginner to all this malarkey. Most comments are minor in the recording department, most really about the arrangement, which breaks a few rules. Rules of course are meant to be broken, but only when they work. I’d love to hear more, because the voices are great and the guitar sounds way better than mine!

One thing with this song is that it is legato, in style, but you turned some words into almost staccato, and I couldn’t work out why? I’ve heard big choirs sing this and heard the directions that they must sing long and clear, but with gaps between words and clearly choirs find the blossom of snow difficult to sing long with clean gaps. Damn hard for an apparently easy song.

First of all, I appreciate your listening and commenting. Thank you!

To Rob, I agree with all of your keen observations and am in awe of the details that you have noted. Yes, more double tracked than two voices, yes, everything is a little strange arrangement-wise because I was struggling with the vocals (higher key than comfortable) and perhaps recorded the guitar at too fast a clip creating a staccato effect. This threw everything off. I am still learning how to keep everything in time and in sync, my greatest challenge. This was an exercise that I decided to do spontaneously and I know it can be so much better. Maybe I will improve upon it by keeping in mind what you are saying here, especially with including the bass in the guitar and having a more skillful double vocal that has "energy" in different places. This song is not easy and that was my takeaway when I did this recording.

There's so much I need to learn with respect to all of this but I am willing to take the plunge every week to try something new and hopefully improve in time. Maybe I'll just keep working on the same song until it's really good. Anyway, you've given me food for thought and I am grateful!

I don't know how you are recording, but are you using some kind of DAW? If so, you could always add another track of guitar with just the bass notes?

The snag with two tracks singing in unison, not harmony is that timing makes it a bit of a mess - you managed to record the two voices (both you?) so accurately they become sort of one. Maybe add a harmony line? This song would mean it would then sound a little 'choral' but maybe have one melody line and aahs and oohs in the harmony. Loads to try.

The only warning I have for you is that if you take well known songs and cut out bars, or add them, it spooks people humming along in their heads - sort of an audio poke in the chest when it comes back in early or late. As recordings go, it's done pretty well I think.

Yes, I'm using Studio One. I think I should start all over and work on the timing and add harmony, bass, etc. I will decrease tempo and make it more legato. I realize the current one is not what people expect and don't want to poke when it's definitely not a poking kind of song! Let's call this a first draft. Many thanks, Rob!

I thought the performances were good.

I heard some background noise at :05.

It's an intimate song, and I didn't think the doubled vocal worked that well.

When the vocals start to intertwine, they were at different levels. The hummed vocal was particularly low in volume.

A couple of pitchy notes on the vocal here and there. The emotion on the vocal was really good tho - and not overdone.

They use this as a hard thing to do in singing lessons. Especially the end of edelweissssssss where suddenly another word fires in, and that change is very hard to do properly. That next word needs to sort of fade in, not fire in like a machine gun, especially the blossom of snow time. Getting the gap just right is tricky. I think that’s why many people almost fade out the sssss and leave a gap. It caused the movie folk to work hard when they dubbed it.

Back