Dumb CakeWalk question...

mjr

ADD -- blessing and curse
Yes, I recognize it's a dumb question.

Here's what I'm asking.

I'm running CakeWalk 2002 (I believe)

I know how to use the Session Drummer (well, sort of) in CakeWalk.

What I want to do is basically create a drum loop, but instead of it being drums, it's piano, or guitar, or whatever.

I know I can use the SoftSynth and the Piano Roll to simulate instruments (piano, guitar, bass guitar, etc.), but that often times becomes very time consuming.

Is there a way to do what I'm asking?

Geez I dunno what Cakewalk 2002's got...but in the new ones you just insert a synth...like the TTS-1 and then use your mouse in the Piano Roll View to add sounds...you can then make loops out of the sections you create, copy them and paste them willy nilly.

yup not sure about 2002....but cant you just record one part, highlight and right click on it then activate "groove clip looping"....just drag or copy and paste tills yir hearts content??

Sounds to me like maybe you don't have a midi instrument assigned properly to that channel? Default instrument on any channel is Piano (GM001). That's a stab in the dark, but I'm sure somewhere in there you have drum sounds to use session drummer with.

Sounds to me like maybe you don't have a midi instrument assigned properly to that channel? Default instrument on any channel is Piano (GM001). That's a stab in the dark, but I'm sure somewhere in there you have drum sounds to use session drummer with.

Ok, let me clarify.

I have a MIDI track set up to use the session drummer. I have a loop in the session drummer that I like, and it's assigned to the MIDI track (let's call this Track 1).

Now, what I want to do is create a separate MIDI track, and basically assign an instrument (like guitar) to that track (Track 2), that basically has the same rhythm/beat as Track 1.

Well why don't you go to 'insert' insert a new soft synth (since session drummer won't play guitar for you) and away you go. If you know how to put one midi thing in (session drummer)...then you know how to do it again right?

YES, you can use session drummer to catalog and hold any midi loops you want. You can then use them as you're describing to play peiano or guitar , whatever. I'm at work now, but you should open the manual for session drummer and figure out how to save and import your own midi snipets.

You clone the track. To do that, right click on the track number and select clone track. It will copy it exactly. Then you change the midi channel and the patch. I'm assuming that by default session drummer is channel 10.

I just tried it and it works. I got a really strange groove going on , sounds like Primus.

Thanks, David! I'll have to give that a shot!

Ok, let me clarify.

I have a MIDI track set up to use the session drummer. I have a loop in the session drummer that I like, and it's assigned to the MIDI track (let's call this Track 1).

Now, what I want to do is create a separate MIDI track, and basically assign an instrument (like guitar) to that track (Track 2), that basically has the same rhythm/beat as Track 1.

You clone the track. To do that, right click on the track number and select clone track. It will copy it exactly. Then you change the midi channel and the patch. I'm assuming that by default session drummer is channel 10.

I just tried it and it works. I got a really strange groove going on , sounds like Primus.

Back