Dubstep should not be called "DUB"

Jaxxhits

Dubstep is not called dub, or should ever be shortened to dub. Dub as a genre or sub genre of reggae has been about since arguably the 60's, and to be fair to the genre, most dubstep does not even come close to the brilliance of true dub music.

this is a real Dub and not anyone can appreciate this kind of music.

Aswad - Dub Fire - YouTube

I'm not sure I've ever heard the term dubstep being abbreviated to dub. I don't see that anyone was unclear on this.

Anyway, labels are just labels, who cares where one genre ends and another begins?

Some of the earlier dubstep tracks are really dubby, the step part is the half time beat. This American brostep shit is like a distant inbred cousin.

Dub was just removing the vocals and putting the focus on the bass and drums. To say some dubstep isnt dub is to say that only the 60s bands were R&B.

Some of the earlier dubstep tracks are really dubby, the step part is the half time beat. This American brostep shit is like a distant inbred cousin.

Dub was just removing the vocals and putting the focus on the bass and drums. To say some dubstep isnt dub is to say that only the 60s bands were R&B.

I agree!

Jaxxhits thanks for sharing that track though :)

Although I do agree, dubstep should never be shortened to dub (I've never seen it shortened to dub though). The beginnings of dubstep were very "dubby." What you are probably familiar with is what's called brostep.

To me, it would be like shortening Acid Jazz, to just jazz. It's wrong, sure, but you never really see that happen ;)

it's all just labels and they change. What's called country nowadays isn't anything like what country originally meant for instance.
What are essentially slang terms will continue to change and often be shortened regardless of whether anyone likes it or not.
If there's a tendency among some to shorten it to dub, it'll shorten and eventually that's what most will call it rail against the tide though you might.

As far as everyone not being able to appreciate the briliance of this .... I don't agree ..... it's pretty much dance music and it grooves. I like raggae.
And personally I call any raggae music raggae without regard to sub genres ...... sue me.
I'm too busy playing music for a living to bother with whatever labels that music gets pegged with, especially since those labels constantly change and evolve.

Last edited:
this is not dubstep its dub reggae. Forerunner to this new thing dubstep.
reggae , dub reggae, jungle, drum and bass etc
it doesnt even ressemble its roots and dub step certainly isnt dub reggae

Back