Drums need to sound real.

Is there an easier way? .

The price you're going to pay for not using real drums will be having to actually put some time and work into it. I know that sounds ludicrous in this day and age, but it's just the way it is.

You can't use real drums, yet you don't want to put in any time to get fake drums to sound more real? Good luck.

Is there an easier way? I tried to Do the velocity deal and it took more time to do that for one song than it did to write it. I know a real drummer would be amazing but I don't think base housing or my neighbors would like that due to sharing a wall. I thought about an electronic kit but know nothing about it. I would like a faster way it any and not too expensive.
well, it'll go quicker once you've gotten the process down but yes, drums typically take more time than everything else put together.

This is where I'm at right now, learning to program drum samples.
My guitar is gone to the shop for intonation, that will help to keep me focused...

I read an article one time where the guy had the same problem....ends up he eventually recorded just a real hi-hat over top of the programmed kick/snare/toms and he claimed it worked quite well.

Is there an easier way? I tried to Do the velocity deal and it took more time to do that for one song than it did to write it. I know a real drummer would be amazing but I don't think base housing or my neighbors would like that due to sharing a wall. I thought about an electronic kit but know nothing about it. I would like a faster way it any and not too expensive.

I haven't read everything so maybe someone already said this...

Get a better DAW that can "humanize" the velocity and timing and make it sound less robotic. I use Reaper and it is awesome for that. One or two clicks and the midi sounds way better.

but yeah real drums are the best for rock. for mellower less drum driven music you can get by with fake stuff and sound ok.

when i record real drums it takes maybe 60 minutes to record and mix the drums for a song (well once the mics are set up). When I use EZdrummer I spend forever getting the right sounds and mix...real drums are actually easier I think. But there is a bigger learning curve.

I agree--the way to go is real drums whenever possible. How do you go about that? Someone like myself who enjoys tracking drums as a way to get proficient with ProTools. I do this for friends, none of whom lives closer than 500 miles away. The internet is a wonderful thing! As for ability, I've done major-label recording and tons of high-quality local stuff I'd be happy to let you hear--some of which have drums done in my basement!

27 minutes after your first post and already got red rep? Yikes, lol. What major label stuff, dandy? Just curious (sorry for o/t, OP).

I thought he was spamming in his first post. Maybe I was wrong. Give him back some green.

Back