Drum Triggers without the "brain"?

chaosscott

Is it possible to use drum triggers without the "brain" or sound module.

Here's what I'm thinking: Trigger an acoustic kit. Use the 1/4 outs of each trigger directly into daw interface. Convert the audio spikes to midi using KTDrum trigger for use in EZDrummer.

This is for recording, not live performance so "real time" triggering isn't necessary. I just want to capture the audio spikes and convert to midi (and hopefully velocity).

Has anyone done this before? Thanks!

BARMY !!! i like it ... i take it your skint ... if you are then you will probably only have left and right inputs to your daw, how will you know which trigger is which (if they produce any signal at all) on a full kit hammering out fast beats ???

you might be better (and safer) with 2 mics one (say) for snare and one for kick panned hard left and hard right,once you recorded you can then extract the timing to midi on separate channels (you can get the velocity too which is part of what i think your after),record hats/toms later, then use that to trigger ezdrummer ...

another thing you might think about ...

grab an old midi keyboard/drum machine with buttons *that's not velocity sensitive* (basicly on/off),take out the actual keys/buttons and extend your trigger pads to the contacts ... might work might not but if it does you would have a midi signal (and that would directly trigger ezdrummer and give you something to record)... with a bit of work and maybe some midi keyboard remapping you might be able to get the hats open/closed working to

if you post your make and model of pads someone in the know might post a better solution

hope you find a cheap brain somewhere soon :)

Hey,

Yeah thats exactly what I have been doing for a while, I have Ddrum triggers on each of my drum heads and they each input into my PreSonus Firestudio with 1/4 outs and ins. I stated with KTDrum, but I've found Drumagog is much better for this application its more tunable. I've also tried this with an Alesis trigger module, but i prefer the tuneability of recording the triggers without a 'brian', It works for me much better. i find you really need the 'brain' for live situations its hard to get around the latency without it.

Give it a go!

Trout.

I do this all the time using drumagog. it works very well. drumagog will convert to mid or trigger samples for you.

Back