drstawl, or whoever may listen....24bits is like tits!!!

sonusman

Banned
Well, ok not quite like tits, but had to say something clever here.

Ok, here is the deal. Just purchased the Lynx One 24/48 sound card last week. Played around alot with the Digital I/O to see how much better I could hear stuff that was recorded on my Fostex D-5 Dat. Obviously, 24 bits on the output of the card revealed many disturbing things about 16 bit resolution. Could mix better with just having 24 bits D/A converters.

Anyway, I just decided to really give the A/D converters their first run through.

OHMYGODHOLYCOWMOTHERTERESAINHEAVENTHISTHINGSOUNDSLIKEGOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out the mix at
1.37MB at 192bps encoding with Audio Catalyst.

Here is the deal on the mix. I used the same eq settings, except for a little eq tweek on the rythem guitars as I did on She's So Hetero ( www.echostarstudio.com/She'sSoHetero.MP3 ).
The difference also is that Girlfriend has no mute automation on the Ghost console, no effects at all, and only a few volume changes were made from the She's So Hetero mix. Otherwise, it is the same mix.

I think the difference is stunning to say the least!!! Those extra 8 bits just make it rock.

Before, on 16 bit, when the mix would start getting dense, things mixed back would start to disappear. High frequency response would go out the window. Wholesomeness was unthinkable.

At 24 bits, nothing seems to disappear at all when the mix gets dense. High freq response is still outstanding, and it sounds very wholesome.

Although the song is not mixed yet, I will get around to working on it in the next couple of days, then I will mix it to the DAT, and to the hard drive through the soundcard and post a couple 320kbs 30sec posts. You all can tell me what you think of 24 bit. I think it is definately worth the extra money.

A very excited again,
Ed

Oh yeah, forgot to mention.

Girlfriend is not mastered either. I did go into GoldWave and eq out about -2 db of 400-1kHz to try to tame a bit of the guitar grind. Also added about 2 db of 16kHz.

Ed

Well- I think the 24 bit snippet sounded warmer and alot less harsh than the SoHetero
track. But that was a different song and a different mix. I'll take your word for it, though and plan on working 24 bits into my next soundcard purchase. But aside from the cost differential 4 the card (nominal really when you think about it) I'd want to make sure that my computer and HD in particular
were at least twice as fast as what I've got now. I hate hourglasses on my screen. And all the track archiving required in a project just grows like a fungus when compared to a project done in 16 bits. So a pair of 10K RPM 37GB drives and a DVD Ramdrive would sure help.
Aside- Another great Band: Raw Fungus

Ummmmmmm.....Funny thing drstawl.

I too thought that 24 bit signals would be much bigger than 16 bit. Turns out that they are not. All of my 24 bit file sizes are identical.

I recorded that using GoldWave which just records whatever the soundcard will do. It then asks you when you save if you want to save it at 24 or 16. I have done both and the file size is the same. But when I go to process the file, the 24 bit one definately processes much better and more accurately.

What I have found out is that most software does not care what it sees at the input as far as bit resolution goes while recording. It cares on how to store this information though when you save.

I DO of course get much bigger file sizes when upping the sampling rate.

I don't think you need to worry about storage with 24 bit. It appears that it stores data about the same.

Could I be wrong here???

Ed

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but 24 bit files HAVE to be 50% larger than their 16-bit counterparts or you don't really have
24 bits enabled. There is a save of a temp file during the recording process- no way around that unless your software saves it automatically with some default name. Maybe it's doing the temp thing at 24 bits and saving at 16, hence the identical filesizes.
Keep looking for a S/W selection that includes a bitrate choice.

Ooooops....Wasn't paying attention to file sizes. It is not quite twice the size though. A 2:54 sec tune at 44.1 16 bit is 29.2, at 44.1 24bit it is 49.9. Might as well be twice the size.

Please excuse my haste in the post, and my err in not checking file size first.

But none the less, I will keep my rather large file sizes because they dither down quite nice. The better sound really makes up for cramming the drive.

Interesting. GoldWave will record the highest bit rate possible by the card but ask you to save at a certain bit resolution. It of course defaults at 16, but you can select 24. Cakewalk on the other hand requires you to define the bit resolution before recording or it defaults to 16, unless you change what the default is.

I like GoldWave's idea better.

Thumbs down on Cakewalk. I have had absolutely no problems recording to GoldWave at all. No glitches, pops, scratches, etc....Cakewalk, well, all of the above. Looks like some time on the phone with them. Arrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!

Anyway, 24 bits are almost as good as tits!!!

Ed

That ratio is 1: 1.71.
That's pretty weird!
16:24 = 1:1.5
But even tits aren't perfectly bilateral symmetrical entities.

Back