Do you need a special preamp for ribbon mics?

I think that's probably the same circuit board as the one in our group buy active ribbons. It's pretty noisy. The best part of it is that they specifically designed it to be almost impossible to mod.

The transformer is glued to the circuit board, and all of the components are covered with an epoxy so they can't be removed. Oh, yeah, and it's all surface mount. So essentially you'd be starting over, building a PCB or breadboard from scratch with nothing but a ribbon motor in a case. Grrr. Life's too short.

The Golden age is actually the RSM8A modified.
Has the same base as the RSM8A and the same screen as the RSM2.
It runs more quietly is warmer and needs a little more gain.
I'm experimenting with double tracking right now and haven't bothered to clean up the hiss yet but if you listen here http://mixcraftlive.com/index.php?t=popup_player&mode=song_hifi&band_id=93&song_id=2219 you will hear the RSM8A on vocals and the Golden Age on Tenor Guitar. (so no bass strings)

sounds great! (What's the rest of your setup?)

Last edited:
I just happened to be exploring this topic looking to see if the preamps I have will work with the Ribbon mice I just purchased.
I have one that will give me nearly 70db gain and two others that will do better then 70db.

I don't doubt that many ribbon mics do get bad reviews as weak or muffled because the users just don't have the right preamp for their mic. What is just as important as gain level is the Preamp Impedance. My mic is 250 ohms and its important to have a preamp with an input impedance of 4~5x or more so the mic isn't loaded down by the preamp impedance. A preamp that doesn't have a high enough impedance will mute the frequency response like putting a blanket over the mic. I'm probably OK because my preamps are at least 2500 ohms which is 10X the mic. I just have to be sure they can gain the mic up without background hiss which is typical with many pieces of SS gear pushed towards its limits.

I did find this manufacturer who makes preamps designed specifically for Ribbon mics. 83db with 18K ohm input, and -130db EIN noise level should make for a high quality signal.
TRP | AEA Ribbon Mics
They are a bit pricy for my wallet buts its good to know that are out there. Since the low end ribbon mic boon has begun, I'm suspecting someone out there will capitalize on a good preamp that can drive Ribbon mics well. Preamp costs are probably the most inflated of any electronic device out there. The simplicity of the circuits and availability of low cost, high quality parts makes manufacturers a high profit. Like anything however, its all about supply and demand.

I won't have an opinion just to get the disclaimer up front.. Basically you'd like to ask if there are up grades over what you have.. but then you left that part out. ;)

There's also the Cloud Lifter.

I don't doubt that many ribbon mics do get bad reviews as weak or muffled because the users just don't have the right preamp for their mic. What is just as important as gain level is the Preamp Impedance. My mic is 250 ohms and its important to have a preamp with an input impedance of 4~5x or more so the mic isn't loaded down by the preamp impedance. A preamp that doesn't have a high enough impedance will mute the frequency response like putting a blanket over the mic. I'm probably OK because my preamps are at least 2500 ohms which is 10X the mic. I just have to be sure they can gain the mic up without background hiss which is typical with many pieces of SS gear pushed towards its limits.

>> Preamp costs are probably the most inflated of any electronic device out there. The simplicity of the circuits and availability of low cost, high quality parts makes manufacturers a high profit. Like anything however, its all about supply and demand.

I didnt know there was a fad of Ribbon mics going on, but now that you mention it everyone is selling them even at the $99 range. I didnt know this was a new trend?

Makes sense what you say about the users thinking Ribbon mics are sounding foggy and unclear, if they need that kind of impedance and gain. Another article mentioned they cover the headcase and screens extra thick because most novice/newbies will destroy the ribbon and one mod is to remove the extra foam and windscreen protection to clear the ribbon mic up.

I could see having one ribbon in the mic locker just for kicks, but they seem to require much more care and attention than other standard mics like a basic LDC.

Funny enough the Studio Projects VTB-1 (I have 3 of them) has an impedance button for ribbon mics, they suggest the 50ohm setting for ribbons, but my ribbons seem to be better at the 200ohm setting. The actual impedance of the pre does not match the impedance of the mic (terminology wise) usually the mic impedance is 10 times the preamp impedance.

Ribbon mics, I have 4 of them, 2 fat head type and 2 x full body (like a LDC). I will probably buy more. They are great on guitar cabs and I have used them on acoustic guitars and even vocals. When you get used to the darker sound you realise that in the mix they actually work really well. One thing I always do now with acoustic guitars is to use a LDC and a Fathead ribbon over the top (see photo) of it and record the 2 mics to 2 separate tracks, by blending the 2 mics to get the sound you want you almost never have to touch the EQ.

Oh I found this in the VTB-1 manual: Mic Input (Rear switch in 200 ohm position): 2000 ohms, Mic Input (Rear switch in 50 ohm position): 300 ohms

Alan.

cardy-blog.jpg

Last edited:
Back