Do most people just want retro microphones when the are looking for vintage?

bachfantasia

When most people are looking for vintage microphones, are they really just looking for a retro microphone?

I am aware of the difference between vintage and retro. Vintage means it's really old and retro just means it's made to look like it's old.

Having said that. I'm curious. When most people (and by most people, I mean the average consumer/musician not necessarily a professional) say they are looking to buy vintage microphones, are they really looking to buy a microphone that was actually built in the 50s (elvis mics), 60s, etc.... or do they just mean they want one that looks like the old microphones?

It seems to me that when someone goes into a store and asks for a vintage microphone or is online and searches for vintage microphones, they are actually ,possibly without knowing, using a misnomer and really they mean to say or type retro microphone.

Does anyone have any insight to this? When most people are looking for a vintage mic are they just really looking for a retro mic?

Thanks

When most people are looking for vintage microphones, are they really just looking for a retro microphone?

I am aware of the difference between vintage and retro. Vintage means it's really old and retro just means it's made to look like it's old.

Having said that. I'm curious. When most people (and by most people, I mean the average consumer/musician not necessarily a professional) say they are looking to buy vintage microphones, are they really looking to buy a microphone that was actually built in the 50s (elvis mics), 60s, etc.... or do they just mean they want one that looks like the old microphones?

It seems to me that when someone goes into a store and asks for a vintage microphone or is online and searches for vintage microphones, they are actually ,possibly without knowing, using a misnomer and really they mean to say or type retro microphone.

Does anyone have any insight to this? When most people are looking for a vintage mic are they just really looking for a retro mic?

Thanks

I personally could care less what a mic looks like. It must capture sound in a way I find pleasing for the task at hand. The shape of certain microphones does lend itself to special or unique characteristics, for example, the shape of a U87's grille is designed to prevent internal reflections which is why it is often copied. The weird shape of an Electro Voice RE 15 with its vents and all are a specific attempt to reduce proximity effect. I for one love the look of an RCA DX77; it looks like a giant medicine capsule, and I hate the Coles 4038 shape but if I am chosing a ribbon the Coles will win out every time. Companies try to copy these shapes to suggest that there is some sort of "mojo" there but it's all just designer and marketing bullshit.

Problem with microphones is they can show significant degradation in sound quality as they age. Most of us would like to have an RCA77 but is it really the Holy-Grail of ribbon design? Perhaps as a pure collector running a museum, old original mics are desirable but not so certain if your studio needs to make money. There were many other factors in recording of yesteryear besides the mic.

Back