Do i need a new microphone or new mixer/interface ?

Raph_LYC

Hey guys, i returned my behringer qx1002usb few weeks ago, because i dont get the quailty i am looking for, i am using a scarlett 2i2 audio interface , at2020 xlr microphone , i am looking for really crisp and clear voice, i have a very deep voice, when i record with my at2020 its really flat, i have like 200AUD budget, thanks guys!

Hi,
It's hard to advise without knowing a little more. What's your point of reference?
Maybe you're comparing to commercial products where a lot of production has gone on to achieve the final vocal sound?

On the other hand maybe your room is causing problems. Any treatment?
Maybe you could post a clip of what you're getting and an example of what you'd like?

The direct answer, though, is no; You don't need a new interface.

need to hear how it sounds...

w.png

you don't need a new interface, it'd be good to know more about your room, if it's treated or not and how you are recording

Hey Ralph,
The biggest difference is the guys voice and speaking level.
His tone of voice is lighter than yours (less muddy sounding) and he seems to speak out much clearer.
It's hard to say but I'm pretty sure he's farther from the mic than you too.

Sit up, speak proud, and maybe try an eq plugin to help.
Play with a HPF around/above 200hz, and maybe try a wide Q gentle cut in and around 500hz or so.
Those aren't rules - Just a suggestion of a starting point.

Last edited:
If you'd kept the behringer you could have used the eq on it.
Other options are to run the mic into recording software, use an eq, and take the output to your streaming software.
You might have to used virtual bus software like jack/soundflower for this.
Another alternative is to use streaming software with built in effects or the option to insert vsts.

I've never used streaming software, but I imagine these are basic/common functions.

You just need to experiment with mic technique first - you're too close, and then some gentle EQ while wearing good quality headphones so you can hear your own voice. I read both topics and you're blaming the equipment and it's just you're unfamiliarity with recording techniques. I too would have kept the behringer mixer.

Point the mic at your mouth, don't get closer than 30cm or so, and adjust the gain to get the same kind of level you had before. You need to use a popper stooper, or even a foam windshield to stop the blasts from your voice, and that's about it.

Back