DIY Vocal Booth in Recessed Wall?

bwenz7226

Hi all, first time poster here.

I'm renting a less than ideal room for recording (huge windows, noisy neighbors, the works), and I'm trying to get the best vocals out of it as possible.

image1.JPG

As seen in the attached picture, I have this recessed wall I'm thinking about turning into a vocal booth. The foam that's there right now is more decorative than anything. It's 3 feet wide and about 2 feet deep.

Can anything be done with it to make it a useful spot to do vocals with some good acoustic foam or heavy blankets? Or should I scrap the idea completely?

Thanks

Hi and welcome!

If you have that reflection shield thing it might work OK as-is. Have you tried recording there yet and, if so, how did it sound?
I'd treat the room according to that.

If you have issues with external noise bleeding in you're probably better off just getting a dynamic mic and singing very close to it.
Really....even moving even a few inches closer to a mic is going to make so much more difference to signal/noise than hanging blankets or dense foam, in my opinion.

Most of the vocals I do would feature the neighbour's constantly yapping dog and light aircraft droning overhead if I wasn't mm away from a dynamic mic.

What you can do is try it out.

Record in there as it is.

Then record somewhere random in the room, i.e. nowhere near that bit of recessed wall.

See which sounds better.

Back