digitech gsp1101 in the studio?

nagol5178

I have heard people have a lot of luck with these things live but I am looking to get one for my studio. I have it on order ready to but haven't hit the buy button yet. Will I get good tones running this straight from a mic pre (which has a guitar input) out to the 1101 and then into the recording software? Or will I need more?

I have plenty of great amplifiers. All tube. I don't have any solid state amplifiers. In studio this would have no tube power amp. I of course could run it through one of my amps and set it up to run on it's tube power amp.

But does that need to be done? Anyone had any luck using this as a standalone for the studio?

How does something like this sound vs something like amplitube as far as recording in the studio? I've heard clips of this thing and it sounds awesome. I seen Dave Mustaine uses it live and in the studio and so does Chimaira. But I know they are running through their power amp rigs. I'm more interested in how it works with no power amp.

This studio is coming up so fast!

Anyway, more options I'd like to hear. I want good useable guitar tones. I like amplitube 3 pretty well but it doesn't compare to my 6505 or blackstar tube amps. I want something that's gonna be able to compare some what. Not to use as my main tone though, but tones I don't have in my amps or doubling tracks.

Also, I'm interested in it because I don't own an effects unit. I have to use the effects on logic pro 9. I'd rather have guitar effects set up before recording. amplitube does provide that but how does this device stack up?

I looked at the Axe FX Ultra, but it just didn't sound as great as the money it cost judging from the clips. The digitech did sound great. But I heard it running through power amps and not running straight through a recording DAW.

It comes with USB to allow stereo recording to a daw but I wouldn't be using it that way. I would be plugging it into the saffire pro 40 after my tube pre amp which I just like a lot.

If not, what would be a good standard effects unit to use for my guitar that is rack mountable for the studio. Not interested in using it live at this point.

Back