Digi 002 rack ... still a good purchase?

the dairy giant

I've been offered a Digi 002r in a soft-covered rack case with a behringer Ultragain ADA8000 in it too.

For a price comparison, I could buy a new M-audio Fast track Pro 8x8 USB 2.0 new here in New Zealand...
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUlt ra.html

The digi got some nice reviews when it came out. Seems the pres are probably pretty good for the price, but the thing that worries me is whether the support will be there for long, and how well it will continue to work with Logic, currently running 10.6 and using the digi core audio driver.
The unit is one of the ones that needs to be opened up avery now and then to have one of the plugs plugged in and out several times to, i presume, remove oxidation. A known issue I believe.

Any thoughts or feedback would be welcome, thanks.

As far as I know the 002 is very similar to the 003 for driver updates and what not. So as long as the 003 is supported one would think the 002 will be as well. Nothing has really replaced the 003 yet so I would say you have a while before it is not supported. With that said, companies like Avid and the whole pro tools 9 to 10 upgrade anything can change at anytime. With the 002 setup you would bring in more inputs, so I'd say go for it if it's in good shape.

Back