Deciding between EV RE20, Mojave 301FET & Sennheiser MKH 416 for VO

Lots of good responses here, and a few not so good ones.
I'll echo what people have said about finding a mic that flatters your voice, and one that will work well with whatever limitations or deficiencies that your recording space might have.

I will also say that I've worked in the VO industry for over 20 years, at some of the biggest casting houses and VO talent agencies, so my info is pretty specific to the union VO scene in the Los Angeles area. For many years, people really only recorded their auditions from home, and went to pro studios if they booked the jobs. Most actors didn't have the extra cash required to properly treat their recording spaces or invest in pro mics, so most just bought a USB mic or something of that nature for auditions.

When COVID came along, the industry very quickly pivoted to having the actors record work from their home studios, and those USB mics were not cutting for professional work. And sound engineers also discovered that even if their mics were decent, trying to make four people recording on four different mics in four different sounding spaces, and trying to make it sound like they were all in the same room was a nightmare. So now what I'm seeing more and more are specs from buyers specifying certain mics for work from home studios, so that they have at least some consistency in sound, and more actors who have been forced to purchase Whisper Rooms or Studiobricks or other manufacturer's booths for isolation (and then treat them heavily inside) or construct blanket tents and hope that the leaf blowers next door don't start during a session.

Most of the various talent agencies, commercial ad agencies, casting houses, animation houses, etc., are now requiring certain mics in order to be considered for jobs. Those mics are almost always the Neumann U87 and the Sennheiser 416. There's a lot of argument about whether those are the best mics, why they became the mics of choice, or whether the buyers will really know if that's what you're using, but they have been the two mics that you'll find being used in virtually every professional VO studio here for decades. They have become a sort of shorthand for presenting yourself as a trained professional who has made serious investment in your career, and whose sound quality will be presumed to be good enough for work. That's not to say that other mics are not good (or possibly even better for your voice), or that nobody is using other mics and making good a good living, or that you'll never be hired if you don't have one or the other or both.

I'll also add that the Mojave is a well-reviewed mic, and a fairly respectable substitute (among many others) for that Neumann U87. The RE20 is perceived as more of a radio or announcer mic than a voice actor mic, and as a dynamic mic needs a lot of gain to push it so you'll probably have the investment of a Cloudlifter or other preamp in addition to the cost of the mic to consider, since most interface preamps aren't up to the job alone.

You'll get lots of info here from audio engineers who know much more than I do about recording itself, but I wanted to add in my experience dealing specifically with the VO industry, since that's your focus. Feel free to take any or all of it with a huge grain of salt, especially if you're looking at something other than union-oriented work. For telephony, long-form narration, explainers and industrials, etc., the players and rules are much looser, and you can more easily work with what you may already have and upgrade as you go along if you find that your existing gear is limiting you.

Good luck, and have fun!

To clarify, I did mean boom arm. With the new recording space I'll be able to stand so it would be nice to have the option to do character work standing :)

lol are you not able to delete comments here

anyways I was trying to say thanks Whyseyes for your thoughtful comments. Right now I'm doing ok on freelance sites and I'm kind of scared of trying to go big-time union VO because I really like having control over my own editing, but we'll see what the future holds. Thanks again for your thoughts. :)

Starbird1-large.jpg.auto.webp

Get the biggest thing you can find.

Keep it outside if you need to.

Sneak it in through a window.

While there has been suggestions of the RE20 or other dynamic and it would likely work OK, in my own opinion I would go for a decent LDC with it mind that you'll have room acoustics better in control sometime in the future. When I was looking for a better LDC than what I had, it was between a Mojave and a Miktek. A used Miktek C1 (cardioid) crossed my path at a great price, so I went with that. The Mojave, either the 301 (multi-pattern) or 201 (cardioid) would likely be a good choice, but I would lean towards a single cardioid pattern for just VO type work. From what I've read on the MKH416, its use is more where the voice is intended to cut through more prominently over a backing track and that may be part of the reason many VO artists have one as a second mic.
Take my suggestions as a grain of salt as I don't do pro VO stuff, but more dabble in it along with the music side of recording.

You can browse through this site and look at the mic and gear different voice actors are using and listen to demos. It may be helpful in narrowing down mics. It's surprising how many are using budget condenser mics (AT2020's and similar), but if you have a good voice and technique to begin with, perhaps the mic only adds the icing.

... anyways I was trying to say thanks Whyseyes for your thoughtful comments. Right now I'm doing ok on freelance sites and I'm kind of scared of trying to go big-time union VO because I really like having control over my own editing, but we'll see what the future holds. Thanks again for your thoughts. :)
You could go rent time in a studio and have some headshots made with those mics, and then use whatever actually works best for your voice and budget.

I'm a fan of the low cost Miktek MK300, but there are a lot of good mics in the sub $1k range. I mean, A LOT. Warm Audio has a new 87 clone, WA-887R2 at about $600, and some "make offer" listings on Reverb. Their original got pretty good reviews for being a decent substitute. I'm keeping my eye peeled for a used WA-14 at a bargain basement price, myself...

And, yes, LDCs can "pick up a mouse fart at 20 feet" (as I first heard), but if it's picking it up, it's because the sound is in the room. Turn the gain down and work a bit closer. Use the mic's cardioid pattern to aim its backside at the source of most noise, so, e.g., you may want to take your small space and configure the mic so your facing any open window or even door to another room. Get adhesive foam weatherstripping and put it on the door jam - it will make a big difference. Light blocking drapes covering a window are pretty effective at damping outside sounds, etc.

Good luck.

So I bought the EV RE20. I'd been leaning towards that mic for the last few months. I recorded a short blind comparison between the SM58 and RE20. though I'm sure you can tell which is which lol.

I know I'm late to the discussion, but I wanted to let you know that I've used an EV RE 20 mic for voice overs...and it's been my money maker. You can check out my old demo here. It's old because I stepped away from doing VO's for several years due to a pulmonary embolism messing up my ability to breath and it took me forever to regain breath control. I'm investing in a Sennheiser MKH 416 for recording audio books/industrials.

You might want to check out the VoiceActing Reddit and Gravy For The Brain. I think GFTB is well worth the $35 a month for what you get in return.

If you liked the EV ‘sound’ I suspect you might hate the 416. Try before buying or buy from a dealer who does refunds because they are the sort of mic that works just OK on most voices and only stand out on a few. I have one, and like the SM7B I also have it’s not my go to VO mic by any means.

Back