Dbx not working on Yamaha mt8x

pehjott

So I bought a Yamaha mt8x.A few things are not working that great but good enough
One thing bothers me though

I guess you are familiar with the sound of a cassette when recording with dbx on but switching it off during playback.
Its a very compressed sound.

Well my recordings on the mt8x always sound that way,no matter if the dbx is on/off while recording and playback

Never experienced s.th. like that

I have/had quite a few portastudios...

Any idea?
How easy/hard would it be to replace or completely bypass the dbx?

(I actually do not nead dbx when recording loud sources)

Have you cleaned and degaussed the heads. The MT8X is also trying to fit 8 tracks onto media that was meant for 4. I'm really old and remember the Fostex days in the 70's. They did the same on 1/4 inch tape and they were not known for fidelity and had a lot of crosstalk. That's why I went from Tascam 3440a to 8 track Otari and eventually 24 track with Dolby SR. If it's not dirty heads, maybe? Always have been skeptical of these squeezed in formats.

Its the dbx,believe me.The sound I described is very very distinctive.

A guy on youtube shows what Sound I mean

https://youtu.be/kCrT_h62Tck

My recordings always sound as if dbx Was on while recording but switched off during playback.I cannot switch of the dbx before the recording...

Its the dbx,believe me.The sound I described is very very distinctive.

A guy on youtube shows what Sound I mean

TASCAM 424 MKIII: What Happens When You Turn dbx On and Off? | 424recording.com - YouTube

My recordings always sound as if dbx Was on while recording but switched off during playback.I cannot switch of the dbx before the recording...

I briefly dug through the Yamaha Pro website to see is a schematic could be found and very quickly scanned to manual for the DBX function. To me, the biggest hurdle to modding this would be circuit analysis and the schematic would provide a roadmap vs reverse engineering the DBX circuits.

I could be totally wrong but I suspect the DBX is a integral way the unit gets any sort of audio performance with 8 tracks on a cassette tape. Not sure what bypassing it will gain you.

Back