DBSTRD - Air (Swedish indie pop)

Overall the mix sounds fine to me. The vocals are little low and buried, but that's probably part of the style.
There's some weird fret(?) noise in the breaks at 1:10 and 2:10 - that should be cleaned up. Or if it's an intentional "effect" I'd drop it.
It's a nice song. In terms of arrangement, the guitar section at 1:10-1:40 was a little boring - it's too much like the rest of the song for me. I really wanted a bridge that would change up the basic riff.

You might get more response if you put up a soundcloud link. Some prefer not to download.

Overall the mix sounds fine to me. The vocals are little low and buried, but that's probably part of the style.
There's some weird fret(?) noise in the breaks at 1:10 and 2:10 - that should be cleaned up. Or if it's an intentional "effect" I'd drop it.
It's a nice song. In terms of arrangement, the guitar section at 1:10-1:40 was a little boring - it's too much like the rest of the song for me. I really wanted a bridge that would change up the basic riff.

I totaly agree! Thanks for the input :)
I have a new version now, wanna hear?

Very repetitive from a composition standpoint. Sounds like 80s synth pop more the indie pop.

The mix is good.

The mix is pretty darn good. I concur; the noises at 1:10 and 2:10 are kind of random and detract a little from the polish. You could also bring that lead guitar after 1:10 up a little.

Here's the new mix with better sounds and a new bridge. I think it sounds way better now. Whay do you guys think?

(Bye the way, there's nothing wrong with the 80s! :)

https://soundcloud.com/dbstrd/air

Yea, very 80's. Something out of Europe. Mix was good. Even though it has the 80's sound, a little more low end thump could work on this tune.

Good effort.

I thought the vocals sounded pretty good - nice voices. To me there was too much reverb - or issues with how the reverb was used. It was difficult to make out the words through all of it. The chorus got especially crowded.

Guitars sounded like amp sims. They sounded OK, but they lacked a little warmth. Bass sounded sterile too.

I personally liked the fret noise stuff around 1:10. I thought it was kind of a cool effect.

Guitars sounded like amp sims. They sounded OK, but they lacked a little warmth. Bass sounded sterile too.

Yeah, unfortunately they are all Guitar Rig 5. A bit lame, but what can you do? I don't even own a guitar amp :(
Any other way to "warm them up" a little?

Mix sounds pretty good to me. The drum is really dry and kind of milquetoast to me, I'd focus on that, maybe some reverb and experiment from there?

Cool arrangement, I like this style of dreamy clean guitar stuff.

The second mix is much better, IMO. I think the guitar sounds very appropriate. Maybe not as warm as a real amp, but it fits. I agree that the bass could use a bit more character. You've got a lot of space on the vocals and guitar; the super-dry drums are a pretty stark contrast.

Overall, I like it a lot.

This newest mix sounds really really good. Best part of this forum is watching a good song really blossom, there's so much great stuff in the final mix that just needed some coaxing to come out. Great job.

I have to agree with easlern, this mix just went from good to really good. I listened on headphones, came out really good on those (old HD650 Sennheiser). Verb sounds much better. Nice work.

I have to agree with easlern, this mix just went from good to really good. I listened on headphones, came out really good on those (old HD650 Sennheiser). Verb sounds much better. Nice work.

Well I've mixed the song using HD600 so that might be the reason for it sounding good in your headphones :P
Thanks! :D

This newest mix sounds really really good. Best part of this forum is watching a good song really blossom, there's so much great stuff in the final mix that just needed some coaxing to come out. Great job.

Oh thanks! :D The latest mix is really thanks to this beautiful forum!

The only thing (that I can think of) that I'm not particullary happy with are the toms. I really don't know what to do with them so they'll just have to do for now.

Back