data disc won't copy

grh

I copied a large number of cdr discs, and found a few that won't copy. A disc will get to say 60 percent finished, and then say error. Can anything be done?

.... not if you are burning the discs. Once a disc fails to burn, just toss it. The most likely cause is a defect in the dye layer. Once the dye in a CDR has been heated from the laser, it is permanently changed. There's no recovery unless it's a CDRW.

I haven't bought any CDRs in a few years, but when I was doing lots of them, the failure rate was remarkably low compared to the early days. I also found that certain burners were more likely to fail. I burned most of my discs on my laptop because the burner in my Dell desktop often wouldn't play on any other machine. My old Win98 machines and Win2000 machines were very consistent.

When you can buy 100 CDRs for $30, it's not really a big deal to burn a coaster now and then.

I started to introduce red stickers.little red dots. When one drawer didn’t open, I’d pop a red dot on the drawer and after doing a few hundred, you’d spot trends. One drive would have more spots, others, none. I suspect some discs plus a less than optimum drive would add up to a problem.

.... not if you are burning the discs. Once a disc fails to burn, just toss it. The most likely cause is a defect in the dye layer. Once the dye in a CDR has been heated from the laser, it is permanently changed. There's no recovery unless it's a CDRW.

I haven't bought any CDRs in a few years, but when I was doing lots of them, the failure rate was remarkably low compared to the early days. I also found that certain burners were more likely to fail. I burned most of my discs on my laptop because the burner in my Dell desktop often wouldn't play on any other machine. My old Win98 machines and Win2000 machines were very consistent.

When you can buy 100 CDRs for $30, it's not really a big deal to burn a coaster now and then.
I will try copying the disc with a few disc reader/burners. If the result is the same, I assume the disc had died (possible defect in dye layer), and I am out of luck.

I started to introduce red stickers.little red dots. When one drawer didn’t open, I’d pop a red dot on the drawer and after doing a few hundred, you’d spot trends. One drive would have more spots, others, none. I suspect some discs plus a less than optimum drive would add up to a problem.
I am going to try different cd burners.

Back