DANGEROUS instrumental story thingy

SnakeDog5050

2 headed snake witha rake
Hey everyone,
This is like some kind of forest and ocean espionage story... not sure how well I got the moods throughout though... I tried a new way of recording my strat... and the mix gets pretty thick on guitars so any feedback/suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks :)

A Snake's Shadows

P.S- I have no idea what makes this "DANGEROUS", just liked the thread title :p

Pretty cool sound, the guitar reminds me of a Chris Isaak/Ventures thang. Music is cool, drums sound very good. I am not crazy about the fuzz geetar on the right, it seems messy compared to the rest. Sounds like driving music, very cool. Is that Mandolin? Could be louder.

Very cool. excellent job and good sound quality. :cool:

Nice job James!!...I liked the groove and sound of the drums, and the guitars sounded very nice.....If I had to nitpick anything it would to bring down the guitars just a tad during the ocean espionage? :) part, and to drag the ending out just a bit...seemed to just kind of quit...maybe I just didn't want it to yet?....overall I REALLY enjoyed it!!

DavidK said:
Pretty cool sound, the guitar reminds me of a Chris Isaak/Ventures thang. Music is cool, drums sound very good. I am not crazy about the fuzz geetar on the right, it seems messy compared to the rest. Sounds like driving music, very cool. Is that Mandolin? Could be louder.

Very cool. excellent job and good sound quality. :cool:

Thanks Mr. DavidK for the listen. Yeah the amp I used has built in effects and one of the first songs I played on it was "wicked game" just because of the similar feel it gives in the room. I also tried to get one of the guitars to have sort of a mandolin/synth feel, so nope, just a guitar :)
For the next mix I'll look into keeping that guitar distorted, but lowering the "fuzz" on it.
Thanks again ;)

brandrum said:
Nice job James!!...I liked the groove and sound of the drums, and the guitars sounded very nice.....If I had to nitpick anything it would to bring down the guitars just a tad during the ocean espionage? :) part, and to drag the ending out just a bit...seemed to just kind of quit...maybe I just didn't want it to yet?....overall I REALLY enjoyed it!!

Thanks! Good points, I had a feeling that electric in the second half might be too loud, but wasn't sure. Also I did think of doing more of like the intro type stuff for the ending but ended up kind of lazy :D Maybe I'll go back and mess around with that some more. Thanks again glad you enjoyed the journey to who knows where. :)

Very very very very fucking cool. Drums sound good, big soundstage.

Lead is too loud at 1:35 - it completely dominates the other instruments. Tones are spot on. I wouldn't change except the level of the lead, and maybe cutting away some of the extraneous amp noise here and there. Love the lead doubling later in the song. The tempo change dosen't really do it for me but it comes back together really nice.

Reminds me of Ween's better stuff.

Ohhh... The way it thins out at 2:45 is just spectacular.

SnakeDog5050 said:
Hey everyone,
This is like some kind of forest and ocean espionage story... not sure how well I got the moods throughout though... I tried a new way of recording my strat... and the mix gets pretty thick on guitars so any feedback/suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks :)

A Snake's Shadows

P.S- I have no idea what makes this "DANGEROUS", just liked the thread title :p

Hey SnakeDude,

I love music like this, very unmistakeable Stratocasterish style and sound you have captures here. Nice playing SnakeDude, I like the tones you are capturing with this new Stratocaster of yours, they are just so built for this instrumental type of playing and the mood they convey is excellent!

I don't have to much to comment on the mix because I am listening on pc speakers at work.

A little clean up just to give everything a little more breathing space maybe!

I just love the Statocaster and the potential they have in playing the lead role in this type of driving along the highway out in the country type of feel!

Nice work SnakeDude!

Say hi to the "HOTTIE" for me!! :D

Gorty :)

Supercreep said:
Very very very very fucking cool. Drums sound good, big soundstage.

Lead is too loud at 1:35 - it completely dominates the other instruments. Tones are spot on. I wouldn't change except the level of the lead, and maybe cutting away some of the extraneous amp noise here and there. Love the lead doubling later in the song. The tempo change dosen't really do it for me but it comes back together really nice.

Reminds me of Ween's better stuff.

Ohhh... The way it thins out at 2:45 is just spectacular.

Hey thanks a lot man. I've really dug everything I've heard from you so I appreciate the kind words.
Yeah I hoped to get a huge full sound with the drums and guitar panning/layering to maybe have a "forest surrounding you" feel to it.
I completely agree about the lead at 1:45, it's funny how I could mix this for a while earlier and not notice that, but now after being pointed out it's pretty clear.
Thanks again man, cheers ;)

Gorty said:
Hey SnakeDude,

I love music like this, very unmistakeable Stratocasterish style and sound you have captures here. Nice playing SnakeDude, I like the tones you are capturing with this new Stratocaster of yours, they are just so built for this instrumental type of playing and the mood they convey is excellent!

I don't have to much to comment on the mix because I am listening on pc speakers at work.

A little clean up just to give everything a little more breathing space maybe!

I just love the Statocaster and the potential they have in playing the lead role in this type of driving along the highway out in the country type of feel!

Nice work SnakeDude!

Say hi to the "HOTTIE" for me!! :D

Gorty :)

Hey Gorty, the "HOTTIE" says hi, but wonders why you didn't want to "play" tonight :) :p

Yeah, this is exactly why the strat sold me... I'd say my main interest in music is writing instrumentals like this with the clean electric sound... definitely my fav and just feels so fitting for "soundtracks" to my stories... and personally I like the clean sound much better for this than all of the instrumentals I've "tried" to get a good clean sound on... I might have to back and rerecord some of them.

Yeah as supercreep said above as well, there's some extra noises in there, I forgot to go back and remove all of that. Next mix ;)

Thanks again Gorty, cheers to the strats :)

Snake, I really do love this. Your surf signature style is there, yet a bit more hard rockish, with a spanish flavour....I think spanish is going around the clinic at the moment.

It has an excited feel to it. Wouldn't have anything to do with the arrival of your new baby would it?

You are getting better and better all the time Snakedoggy dog!! Kudos for making me rock!!! :D:D:D

True :) :) :)

true-eurt said:
Snake, I really do love this. Your surf signature style is there, yet a bit more hard rockish, with a spanish flavour....I think spanish is going around the clinic at the moment.

It has an excited feel to it. Wouldn't have anything to do with the arrival of your new baby would it?

You are getting better and better all the time Snakedoggy dog!! Kudos for making me rock!!! :D:D:D

True :) :) :)

Thanks True! lol, actually one of my goals in life right now is to avoid the babies :D

It's funny how much we learn when recording... everytime I listen back to older songs there's things i want to go back and fix and remix. and yeah, good call, the riff in the middle is actually from an acoustic spanish song i wrote like 6 years ago that's real low quality, but it's always fun using older stuff in your new songs.

Cheers Shark Chick :D

Also, to everyone listening from this moment on, I did a quick remix... my ears are too burned out for now so all I did was lower the lead electric track by 2dB... maybe that'll work, but I'll do another remix soon taking into account everything you everyone has said :)

SnakeDog, the best yet!

So you already lowered the lead. 'Coz I was gonna say I don't think the lead should be lowered.

I don't see any mixing issues. Everything seems in it's place to me. The soundtrack feel is going on nicely. :)

I like the distorted guitar 'coz it seems to match the "rough" waves of the ocean in the background.

The only thing I'd say is to definitely make the ending a little longer 'coz it built the mood, got fast, then slowed to return to the original feeling and just when the feeling about settles, it ends. So maybe about 4-6 more measures. :)

Just throwing out ideas. I like the playing on this a lot. :)

Nice mood music man...I like the sounds you've captured....good tones, and good choice of notes....very tasty. Maybe a few nits as far as levels, but for the most part, nice job. Shouldn't take much once you get the ears back. But I must say, the overall vibe is sweet. It left me wanting more. Nice...
Ed

JoeyPazera said:
wow, Awesome jam bro. Listened to it twice. Awesome quality too

Thanks man, there's nothin like jammin' :D Thanks about the quality too, I attribute any increases in quality I've had to this message board, I've learned a ton here!

bigbubba said:
SnakeDog, the best yet!

So you already lowered the lead. 'Coz I was gonna say I don't think the lead should be lowered.

I don't see any mixing issues. Everything seems in it's place to me. The soundtrack feel is going on nicely. :)

I like the distorted guitar 'coz it seems to match the "rough" waves of the ocean in the background.

The only thing I'd say is to definitely make the ending a little longer 'coz it built the mood, got fast, then slowed to return to the original feeling and just when the feeling about settles, it ends. So maybe about 4-6 more measures. :)

Just throwing out ideas. I like the playing on this a lot. :)

Glad you enjoyed it Bubbadawg! :cool:
I'll definitely look into expanding the end a bit since I've recieved good feedback on the song, with something like the intro . My main thought there was "my songs always end up too long!" But if people like it, doesn't really matter. I was also thinking about adding a little organ here and there for effect, but there's so many layered guitars I don't know if that's going to work yet.
Thanks man for the listen and kind words :)

Dogman said:
Nice mood music man...I like the sounds you've captured....good tones, and good choice of notes....very tasty. Maybe a few nits as far as levels, but for the most part, nice job. Shouldn't take much once you get the ears back. But I must say, the overall vibe is sweet. It left me wanting more. Nice...
Ed

Cool dawg, thanks! Yeah I really went for feel and melody with this one, I'm trying to improve the overall sounds and feels to my instrumentals so glad you got a vibe out of it
As far as the levels go, yeah I'll remix this again in a few days when I haven't heard it in a bit... it was kind of a pain mixing due to like 6 guitar tracks. I was running out of places to pan and EQ things :D I'll come back and add to the ending to this and THE BOX too ;)
Cheers

Very nice man. Like those drums, real clean. Guitars sound great man, glad you're digging your new axe. To me the mood hits alot around the 1:00 part, when the drums go back to the toms and keeps going strong from there. Love the leads man, great playing. Wish I had more to offer like usual. I enjoyed it alot man, another fave from you.

Take care
gary

gbav said:
Very nice man. Like those drums, real clean. Guitars sound great man, glad you're digging your new axe. To me the mood hits alot around the 1:00 part, when the drums go back to the toms and keeps going strong from there. Love the leads man, great playing. Wish I had more to offer like usual. I enjoyed it alot man, another fave from you.

Take care
gary

Hey Gary, this is the 1 week later thank you ;)
Glad you like the guitars and sounds. This was kind of a guitar test... there's a bunch of stuff I'd like to record but I'd like to get everything set up well before I do that. As far as this track goes, there's a few volume adjustments I'd like to make and I'll either add to the end or just have another song start where this one left off.. since it's kind of a soundtrack thing anyway.
Thank again man, cheers from the snakes and the dogs :)

Back