Cuttung & pasting

Owen.J

Hiya fellas, I have a backing trax that I would like extending by another verse & chorus. My feeble attempt at doing the same was quickly binned. Any offers of help would be appreciated but please bear in mind I'm no expert on home recording. Thanks In anticipation.

I do have both the original audio track mp3 and the full pro backing trax (which I can send) should anyone like to have a go. Cheers. Owen

Happy to try and help - contact me via the aatranslator web site and we can organise getting it to me (send me the full backing track - as I assume it is a wav)

Grab Runaway's offer with both hands!

However, for the future, I offer Uncle Bobbsy's cheating way of extending a track if you're not confident with cutting and pasting.

Use "Copy to New" to make a new copy of the backing track and insert it into multitrack. Slide the new track to the right so it "sticks out" by roughly the verse and chorus you want. Use volume envelopes to mute the first part of the track (before the "extra" verse and chorus). Assuming the song is fairly repetitive, leave a bit of extra un-muted before the transition you want.

Move the CTI to the part of the tracks you're working on. Play the two together and slide the copy track so it's exactly in time with the original.

Use volume envelopes on both tracks to create a really fast cross fade at the point you want to move to the extra bit. Zoom in and use the CTI to line up the envelope points so the start and end of the fade up and fade down are exactly the same point.

You can either do a mix down right now to create a revised backing track or, if you're going to be mixing a bunch of stuff anyway, just use the two tracks as part of your mix.

Purists we say that you should just practice using the cut and paste until you're confident (and technically they're right) but the above is a quick and easy way to achieve the same thing.

Bobbsy I'm much lazier than that - consider me the 8th dwarf - lazy ;-)

Similar to yourself I just slap it into a multitrack select the area I need to copy and then alt-drag (CS6) to the track below.
Find roughly where the new part is being inserted and split the original.
Drag the section on the right further right to make room for the new bit
Line up the new section and trim both areas around where the xfade will be, lock in time.
Repeat for other end of the inserted piece.
Then drag up to the original track or just mix down from there.

Michael, Thanks you so much, the trax is now how I wanted it, there was no-way I could have done it,I don't have the best ears in the world. Much appreciated. Kind regards. Owen

Back