Cubase collaborating

Atkron205

I have not done any collaborating with other people, what I mean is having someone send me tracks for part of a song or vice versa. from what I have read you can export or import files using the pool. is this the best way to say, if I have drum tracks I want to send to someone else, do you just convert them into wav files from the pool? as long as the file format is the same, if someone sends me a track (file) can I import it into the pool and go from there? not sure of the best route to take. as long as we keep the file format the same, it should not matter what DAW is used, correct? should the files just be raw tracks without any processing? I assume one person would have to do the final mixdown as far as effects, comps etc. is this correct? Thanks:D

I use Cubase also and I would not use the pool for collaborating. I would render each track to a separate wav file.

Solo the track.
Start from the beginning of the song even if the track doesn't. That way all the wav files will line up when you collaborator drops them into his DAW.
Export to audio...

I go one step further and make MP3 @320kbps from all the wav's. It's almost as good as a wav file and is easier to email/upload/download. Of course, internet speeds have increased a lot since my last collab, so maybe that's not an issue anymore.

If you want to send individual tracks/instruments to your collaborator. You mentioned "parts of a song" and I took that to mean individual tracks. :)

ok, yep thats what I meant, in the audio export window, if I select each track one at a time, is that what you are refering to? Thanks

I have not done any collaborating with other people, what I mean is having someone send me tracks for part of a song or vice versa. from what I have read you can export or import files using the pool. is this the best way to say, if I have drum tracks I want to send to someone else, do you just convert them into wav files from the pool? as long as the file format is the same, if someone sends me a track (file) can I import it into the pool and go from there? not sure of the best route to take. as long as we keep the file format the same, it should not matter what DAW is used, correct? should the files just be raw tracks without any processing? I assume one person would have to do the final mixdown as far as effects, comps etc. is this correct? Thanks:D

You have Cubase 8Pro don't you? Or is it a limited version?

Forget about the 'pool' or even messing with that until you know exactly what it is and how it works. That is absolutely the last thing you should be thinking about in regards to 'sharing' files.

Unless someone you are sharing files with has the 'exact' plugins you own and same version of Cubase, you will not have much use of sharing cpr. files or trying to share anything really. I already know you don't just use stock Cubase plugins alone, so you will need to export wav files separately for collaboration.

Basically you need to export each track as a wav file. If full version of Cubase you can 'Batch Export'. But that will include FX inserts on channels selected. You will need to disable the inserts on each track if you wish to export a 'raw/dry' file.

What really needs to happen is for you to decide who will be doing the mixing. Send raw 24-bit or better files 'without effects' to each other until you figure that out.

Depending on your version, you might have channel batch export. If you do, from the mixdown menu, simply check the channel batch export box and then check all the tracks you want to export. Then export the tracks to a folder.

To send your wav files (mp3's do mess up the timing a bit sometimes) using dropbox or wetransfer.com

yes, I have 8Pro, full version. I already learned not to delete the files in the pool( for fucks sake), LOL. thank god for the trash bin. as to the inserts, if I just turn them off, not delete them is that cool?
The raw files is what I would want ( I think). now to read about batch export. lol Thanks man!:D

Depending on your version, you might have channel batch export. If you do, from the mixdown menu, simply check the channel batch export box and then check all the tracks you want to export. Then export the tracks to a folder.

To send your wav files (mp3's do mess up the timing a bit sometimes) using dropbox or wetransfer.com

I use Dropbox all the time, never heard of Wetransfer, thanks for the reply.:thumbs up:

yes, I have 8Pro, full version. I already learned not to delete the files in the pool( for fucks sake), LOL. thank god for the trash bin. as to the inserts, if I just turn them off, not delete them is that cool?
The raw files is what I would want ( I think). now to read about batch export. lol Thanks man!:D

Yes, you can just bypass them. Though I have heard of some that actually still affect the sound when bypassed. I have never had an issue myself tho.

It's probably worth saying that if you batch export files Cubase will use the fader/pan settings you've got going on, so things can sound a bit odd (i.e. levels all over the place) when you remove all your plugins. It'll also export everthing that ends up coming out of a stereo output as a stereo file.

You can force it to make mono files by ticking 'mono downmix', can save you a lot of hard drive space if you're limited on internet speed/dropbox space/whatever and your collab buddy doesn't need your exact mix.

Hi!

I just updated to 8.5 Pro

And there seems to be a new included tool for collaboration, VST Transit.

From Steinberg homepage:

"Embedded into Cubase, VST Transit is Steinberg’s new cloud collaboration service. Upload audio and MIDI tracks to cloud storage, continue working from another location and synchronize the changes back to the cloud. Or collaborate on shared projects with friends and band members. VST Transit comes with up to 500 MB free storage space and 1 GB free traffic per month."

I have not tried it out myself though, as I'm still in the phase of finetuning W10 as my main OS.

VST Transit comes with up to 500 MB free storage space and 1 GB free traffic per month."

Lets hope it doesn't lock you into one storage provider and lets you upload to an ftp of your choosing, then it would get seriously useful and might be worth an upgrade on its own....

Back